Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

BEST fuel saving TIP EVER............

Hey.........

The last time I went to KY lake, 2 or 3 weeks ago, I made a SERIOUS effort to do whatever I could to control my fuel costs......

Well......Here is what I DID........

* On the road, I drove 60 mph instead of 70 or 75.
    * NO FAST starts and FAST stops...........eased to cruise speed.
    * NO JackRabbit starts........actually 2 or 3, but only when necessary.

* On the lake........I pulled off and DROVE 20 - 30 miles, instead of running.

So the savings..............

* Truck........I saved over 35%........that is ONE fillup......and we all know what that costs........

* Boat...........I save a COMPLETE fillup.........Instead of running and gunning and spending TONS of gas running the lake, I maximized my fuel, but cost a little time.

Net SAVINGS for the weekend.........about 100.00 bucks.........DEFINITELY over 70.00 for the TRUCK alone........

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BEST fuel saving TIP EVER............

By PULLING OFF instead of running 30 miles do you mean just drrive closer to were your fishing with the truck or what

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bereabasser View Post
    By PULLING OFF instead of running 30 miles do you mean just drrive closer to were your fishing with the truck or what
    Yep.............There are a TON of ramps on KY lake..........We started on the TRACE fishing Pisqua........and then drove down to sugar........Fished Northern parts of the lake, and then LOTS of stuff around Sugar, and for 3 days only used 1 tank of gas, instead of the 2 or 3 that I usually would use.......

Late,r

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what i try to do also Geo... You would be suprised at how much gas you can save by trailering to the closest ramp.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be impossible for me increase my towing mileage by 35% based on driving style. Numbers I've seen are in the 5-10% range. I get 14 mpg pulling my boat. I know there is no way in the world I could get 35% better (~19 mpg), no matter how I change my driving style. I barely get that without pulling the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Well..........most people may not get that much.........I have a BIG v-6 in my F-150, and it WORKS really hard at higher speed.........Now, with a big v8 it might not work as much, but I KNOW that simple physics will show that 15 mph slower WILL make a difference..........TOWING or not.

I'd simply try to drive slower for 1 tank of gas and see the difference.......

Not only am I seeing 35 % towing, I'm also seeing about 15 -20% without towing.......I'm driving a LOT slower EVERYWHERE...........It makes a HUGE difference.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Slowing down, avoiding fast starts, hard stops definitely makes a difference. I've been doing it a long time. I'd guess I save 5-10%. I get beat when the light turns green 90% of the time. Most boats will get their best mileage running just fast enough to keep it up on plane. I'd guess I do save 30% gas in the boat at that speed compared to WOT. WOT in my boat is a little over 3 mpg, which is now $1.20 per mile. YIKES!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin_4_Fun View Post
    Slowing down, avoiding fast starts, hard stops definitely makes a difference. I've been doing it a long time. I'd guess I save 5-10%. I get beat when the light turns green 90% of the time. Most boats will get their best mileage running just fast enough to keep it up on plane. I'd guess I do save 30% gas in the boat at that speed compared to WOT. WOT in my boat is a little over 3 mpg, which is now $1.20 per mile. YIKES!
    My boat is a 190 Tracker with a 90 Opti, and it gets FANTASTIC gas........I have not done the actual mileage yet, but if I run 3/4 throttle, I do REALLY good.......BUT I must admit, I like WOT..........but do that only once in a while.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my problem, I live in Northern Ky. and have went to Barkley the last two weekends, Drove the Monte Carlo to save gas.

OK, now for the problem... We Dont have anything close up here that fishes like Ky. and Barkley, so there is no way i can drive 60, I need to get there as fast as I can... LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BassNNutt View Post
    Here is my problem, I live in Northern Ky. and have went to Barkley the last two weekends, Drove the Monte Carlo to save gas.

OK, now for the problem... We Dont have anything close up here that fishes like Ky. and Barkley, so there is no way i can drive 60, I need to get there as fast as I can... LOL
    GRANTED............It took me nearly 1 hour longer to get there..........I live in New Albany, and Drive the Evansville route, and start at the TOP of the lake..........and fish down........

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 115 Opti on a 18' deep vee and installed the Mercury Smart Craft system last year. I always keep the fuel flow (in gal per hour) and RPM displayed. It is amazing how big a difference 500 rpm will make on fuel usage and how little impact it has on boat speed. By tracking the GPS speed, fuel flow and rpm, it is pretty easy to find the "sweet spot".

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: BEST fuel saving TIP EVER............

I live 200 miles from KY lake and have a house boat there. We try and go to the boat three weekends out of four. I might have to change my thinking on driving to the boat that many weekends due to gas prices. On second though I think instead of giving up the lake I might have to give up some work and stay at the boat more. Sounds like a plan.