Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

High Gas Prices = Increased Fishing Pressure on Small Waters

Just read Stoner's report about how the fishing pressure is picking up on Stoner Creek. Several other reports on here from guys who are now forsaking the 2-3 hour drive to the major lakes in favor of the smaller bodies of water closer to home.

Welcome to the future. Hard to see a lot of good from this. Overfishing of small waters, and hard times for businesses near major lakes which make their living off folks driving in to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: High Gas Prices = Increased Fishing Pressure on Small Waters

Wonder how this phenomenon will effect the economies of the big lake areas. I agree, things are going to slow down. It's really sad that because we have to spend more at the pump, we have less to spend elsewhere. Gas wins, everything and everyone else loses.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: High Gas Prices = Increased Fishing Pressure on Small Waters

i know the last few weekends here at sympson when i've rode by by 10am they have been parked wherever you can get off the road..hate to see it i'm sure it will kill the good bass and crappie fishin.

Post Thanks / Like

The gas prices have not stopped me from going but makes me more selective about when I go. If the conditions or weather look poor, I don't drive 4 hours to Barkely anyway. In a years time, this probably means I go on 3-4 trips vs. 5-7.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a thing on the news that food cost are up an average of 35%. Pizza cost are up because all of their products are up. So it cost you a lot more to order a pizza.

In years past I would fish anywhere form 40-60 days a year. I might fish 10-12 times this year. Some of that is because I have a 5 month old at home. But the biggest reason is gas. The gas prices being so high is going to cripple America. Because everything else must go up.

I had to take an accident report from a guy who owns his own trailer service company. I asked how the gas prices were effecting his business. He said that his gas bill is up over $50,000 a year and it was eating up his profits.

I wish they would let the oil companies drill in restricted areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Myth:
    Drilling in the Attic National Wildlife Refuge would not bring more oil to the USA and it would not effect the price of gas at all.

ANWAR is only 5% of the North Slope's Sanitary area. And the NSSA is a very small part of Alaska. Take 5% of about 15% of Alaska and you have a small part of the total Land Mass in Alaska.

Even if we were to drill in this last pristine area of Alaska it would take ten years to even get the first oil to the refineries.

And we are not even sure if they is enough oil in that refuse to make it worth the effort to drill and try to recover oil from this.

This is a NATURE PRESERVE. We have few Nature Preserves left in America. I personally think that we can find other sources of energy easier than drilling in these protected areas.

It would be much better for this country to bite the bullet and get off oil as a fuel source.

We need to develop other forms of energy for this country to survive.

Say we do find oil in ANWAR and we recover all of the oil there. Do you have any idea now long it would take to use up that oil? Then what will we do for energy when the potential oil is all gone.

It took millions of years to form the oil in the earth and we are using it up faster and faster every year. China and India and all the other countries are using more and more oil each year. China alone has an emerging middle class that are now driving automobiles when in the past they walked or rode a bicycle. We can't keep increasing the amount of oil we use in this world without consequences.

I personally think that McCain was right when he suggested that we went to war in Iraq over OIL. He knows as well as everyone else knows that we went into Iraq because that country has 25 % of the worlds oil and the USA wants to control that oil. Funny thing is that you would have thought that if we had control of 25 % fo the world proven oil reserves that the price of gas in the USA would have dropped from $1.00/gallon down to 25 cents a gallon like it was pre OPEC in the 1970's. Instead we are getting ripped off by OPEC and EXXON and are paying over 400% more for oil and gasoline. Somethings rotten in Denmark.

Does anyone else think that the secret energy conferences held between **** Cheney and the Big Oil Companies has anything to do with these high oil prices?

Quote Originally Posted by zx150 View Post
    I saw a thing on the news that food cost are up an average of 35%. Pizza cost are up because all of their products are up. So it cost you a lot more to order a pizza.

In years past I would fish anywhere form 40-60 days a year. I might fish 10-12 times this year. Some of that is because I have a 5 month old at home. But the biggest reason is gas. The gas prices being so high is going to cripple America. Because everything else must go up.

I had to take an accident report from a guy who owns his own trailer service company. I asked how the gas prices were effecting his business. He said that his gas bill is up over $50,000 a year and it was eating up his profits.

I wish they would let the oil companies drill in restricted areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey moose, I respectfully disagree with you. With todays technology, it's safe to drill anywhere, look at the gulf. The problem is still refineries. No new ones since 1978? I don't blame the eco-nuts for this, it's all political. In a capital country like ours, business with the power rules. Look at Germany from the 30's and 40's, heck, just look here in the U.S.,the Rockefeller name still carrys a big stick. A relative of mine is retired from GM, he said he knows for a fact that GM had the technology to build a car that could get 40mpg, back in he mid 70"s, but didn't pursue because of some kind of a tie in with Standard -Chevron, and GM has bought up several ideas for other types of fuel cells from induviduals. I believe that because the Japs have been doing it since 1970. But they are not beholden to a corprate power either. The past 15 years, the democratic party ( I used to be a dem,currently a republican but leaving them too to be an independent, both parties #@^&#37 has done nothing but whine about " how good we have it here, why gas is $4 a gallon in Europe" They want a one world economy, well welcome to that one world economy, cheapest labor gets the work, gov't controls the business and a free soceity like ours is destined to failure. We need a Teddy Roosevelt for a president and all we have running is one Droopy Dog (mccain) One Oprah ( Hillary, ) and Jethro Bodine (Obama) As the great philosipher Don King said.. " Aint America great"?

Post Thanks / Like

There is one word that sums it all up, and its GREED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

one word sums that up.. AMEN!

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: High Gas Prices = Increased Fishing Pressure on Small Waters

Two words from me....I concur!

There is a system of greed in this country from the elite. Not just from Oil companies. It is across the board. Everything that is wrong in this country was started with greed. Look at the difference between the haves, haves some the have nots. It is overwhelming to say the least.

They are so smart ain't they. Who is going to buy all the goods that are produced in Canada, Mexico, China and American jobs going to Mexicans when we don't have the jobs to buy it.

Lets just hire Mexicans to cut our grass, build our cars, build our houses, pure our concrete, Build our roads, paint our bridges 3 or 4 times, cook our food, pick our veggies, pluck our chickens and best yet make our underwear! These people are not idiots they know what they are doing and they are gett'n while the gett'n is good because when it breaks they will have enough to move on while we are stuck here to fix it.

Sorry got off topic a little but I think it all is rolled into the same load of crap!

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: High Gas Prices = Increased Fishing Pressure on Small Waters

I'll probably put a hundred of my tax(stimulus) check in the tank of my boat then hope it sees me thru to better times.
    I'll be charging my trolling motor batteries alot.

Stoner

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I'm wearing out floyds fork this spring.
    Last edited by andrewone1; 05-04-2008 at 02:19 PM.