Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have an honest Question

OK, not to sound like an idiot but I am not a very political person and just try to live a normal simple life.

Here is my problem, Check my mail today and got a summons to court for Jury Duty.

Can anyone tell me how this works? what to expect? etc.
    I dont have a problem with it if it doesnt cause me to loose my regular pay from work because I have four kids and missing time from work is fine as long as i still get paid...

Any insight on this from anyone that has dealt with this before would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I have an honest Question

you will go and be on a selection you may or may not actually set in court.
    if you are the only one bringing in pay and your job don't pay you you may be able to get out of it.call the court and see would be your best bet..they only pay you like 20.00 aday i believe,i know it isn't much..

Post Thanks / Like

whisker's right, the court only gives you a small stipend. It's supposed to be for gas, or parking, or whatever, but it's really small, doesn't begin to cover your expenses. I'd check at your work first. Many employers will pay you for the time you're on jury duty, but they don't have to, and a lot don't. If you can prove financial hardship you'll get excused, but I'm pretty sure that no matter what, you have to show up on the day you're summoned. And yes, a lot of people show up, never get sat on a jury, go home, and they're done after one day. OR you could end up on a three month murder trial; it's kind of a crap shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

I was selected only once when I lived up north, my boss wrote and asked that I be excused because of contract bargaining.I was the union negotiator, and it was granted.The other jury summons was voided because qwe had moved out of state, and they were not informed. You do get a little stipend, and in some cases your employer will make up the difference. Since living here in Ky, guess my last name scares em off, I might vote to convict kit and kin.

Post Thanks / Like

My employer pays our regular pay and in return you have to give them the money you recieve for being on the jury. This way you are not being paid twice. I'ts considered a public service and it's not charged against your accrued leave time.

Post Thanks / Like

Step one Kevin, is to find out what your employer's policy on jury duty is. If your regular job doesn't pay during the jd stint, you'll have to try and get out of it. If your regular employer does pay, I don't see any reason to give the court's stipend to them, that money is for parking, meals etc. Don't ignore the summons or you could be up against a contempt charge. BTW, I'm pretty sure jury duty selections are taken from voter registration records.

I had jury duty for a couple of weeks on an attempted murder case once, and it was a very interesting experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to my Employer and was told they pay me while on Jury Duty. "40 hours"
    I am mailing my form back to the court monday morning and will show up to see if i get selected or not.
    "May God help the Thugs that I might have to convict" hehehehehe

After the week I had I am definitely hoping i get selected, The idiot we have in the afternoons dispatching and such took a run from me and gave it to another guy because he was mad at me because i wouldnt kiss his butt, so I called his two bosses and spoke to one of them and they told me since it was 10:00 at night they didnt want to make another change and give my run back to me so I told him I was sick and wouldnt be in tomorrow and he got kinda speechless for a moment. then preceded to ask me if i would be in the following day. I told him yes. Went back to work on wednesday and they acted as if nothing happened because they are short on drivers and I guess they had to go out and buy a tube of KY. Jelly because they got hit hard with deliveries and pickups in my area... hehehehe