Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota or MotorGuide?

Very tired of fighting the wind with my weak trolling motor. I am not really sure of the pounds of thrust my current one (24v Johnson) has but it leaves alot to be desired. I bought 2 new batteries this spring. The one I have now has a 36" shaft. I am seriously looking at Minn Kota Maxuum 70. I like the variable speed feature. Its around $720. including shipping. It comes with a 42" shaft. Will this be a big problem? I have a 16' fiberglass made by Bryant's company (Bassmaster). I know 70# of thrust may be overkill, but I really like 24v motors and I hate fighting the wind. I have also looked at MotorGuide. What do most of you guys use? Should be fishin right now, but the wind is up and I'm not too thrilled about fighting it. Thanks for any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Minn Kota or MotorGuide?

Minn Kota Max Pro 80 with lift assist. You will love it...

Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota Maxuum 70 On my Bass tracker Pro185 Love it !!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota. I have been pretty rough on the two I have owned, and I have never had a problem out of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Minnkota maxxum 65 with built in transducer on a 19' boat and it does great. I fish Ky. alot in early spring and I can stay on a spot w/ water washing over the front of the boat. I used to have to buy trans. cables every couple of years because I would pinch them but the built in transducer ended that problem. On the power issue it's better to have too much than not enough.

Post Thanks / Like

once you get the corrrect trolling motor, you will love the wind as i have found fish bite better generally. i have a motorguide digital tour edition with 70# of thrust. it will move my 21ft fiberglass boat with no problem in winds to 30mph. you should do fine with either. i like the lift assist feature of the minn kota (3 friends with rangers have this trolling motor) but i believe my motorguide is quieter. either one will be fine. look at features (lift assist and universal sonar are two big + for the minn kota).

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Minn Kota or MotorGuide?

I have the Minkota Maxxum 80lb. thrust. It's on my 18'stratos and does great in any wind that I fish. I also fish a lake where I am limited to trolling motor only and it has the power to move me quickly where I want to go. It also does good on the batteries and doesn't drain them to quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had both Minn Kota and MG, for me either is fine...But right now I got the MG 70# Tour Edition and it's quiet.... But will probably be switching over to the Minn Kota just to have the lift assist due to my bad back.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Minn Kota edge on my boat. The power is there, but the components don't seem to hold up. Through one's seasons use the top cap cracked and the directional broke and the gears inside the top head stripped out. Minn Kota to their credit did fix it for free, but it was still agrevating. It's probably the cheaper end of trolling motors, so I shouldn't complain. My friend has a MG and loves it. His is the remote control on the reel...it's awesome.

If you go Minn Kota, go big and don't settle for any plastic on the top part.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a MG 65 lb. thrust variable speed digital. It is on a 16.5' Bumblebee. I love the variable speed and the power is good. The rubber bushing that is supposed to act as a shock aborober does not hold the motor in place as well as I would like. Based on that problem alone I would consider the Minn Kota.

Good Luck!