Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Angry How close is to close?

Hey guys, fished barren Saturday in a tournament out of Narrows. Did manage to catch a few fish including big fish for the day. To get to the point of the post, I was fishing in cooks creek on the left side going out and this boat comes from way back in the creek and gets right in front of me no more than 35 yards and starts fishing. I could tell his partner was a little uncomfortable since he kept looking at us. I put the trolling motor on high and got in front of them to make a point. 20 yards down the bank we put 2 keepers in the boat. Does anybody else think this guy was out of line or is this standard procedure for these big tournaments. The guy was not in our tournament because nobody who fished in ours had a boat wrap that had a cross and a spirtual message on it. Several times yesterday we didn't fish spots because I felt people were to close or heading in the spots direction. So the question is How Close Is To Close.

Buckrub

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How close is to close?

Sounds like you got the right attitude Buck, I wish everyone shared it.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: How close is to close?

I fish on Beaver lake in Lawrenceburg Ky and it is small. This past weekend I changed location and there was already someone on the bank that I wanted so I went about 500 yards further and started fishing, leaving them plenty of space. I would say a 300 yard would be the minimum of cutting in front of someone if at all. (Beaver is 10hp or less so it's trolling motor for me and its hard to do to much moving around)
    On a big lake when its like that I will go well past them or just come back to it later when they are done. Those people were just rude!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, there needs to be a significant distance when pulling in front of someone. I will pull in closer behind someone (not too close, and I will make sure they are headed away from me). I don't see that as being an issue. However, 99% of the time if I see someone on a spot I was planning on fishing, I will move on and come back to it later. If you are in a tournament, and don't have anywhere else to go but one or two spots - you should put in a little more practice time or find a map and fish similar patterns around the lake. I don't understand that when it comes to fihsing banks and land points. I have seen some heated arguments when it comes to ledge ettiquette on Ky lake.

I have seen that boat down here before - I don't know them, but if I were in a very identifyable boat, I would make sure to practice good sportsmanship at all times.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe I saw that boat as well. There were a lot of boats on Barren saturday. It is quite a small lake to be having 2-3 tourneys out of at the same time, just my opinion. At the BFL meetings, they say off limits are 50 yards from other boats, first anchored, trolling motor in the upright position. That is still a bit close, again, merely my opinion. There were a few spots I wanted to fish that other boats were sitting on, we just motored on past and came back later.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure. It would seem unreal for a tournament to say it is okay to fish 50 yards from someone. If so then they should have some sort of sticker so they only pull in front of people fishing in the same tournament. Just because their rules say it okay doesn't mean its okay with me!

Buckrub

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty sure that is what they say before every tournament. They usually have a off limits area at the weigh in site, and they also say 50 yards from another competitors boat, first anchored, trolling motor in the upright position. Anyone care to clarify or correct me? I fish as a co-angler, so I tend to tune that out, I am kinda just along for the ride lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Craig you are dead on...if a guy is anchored down with trolling motor inthe upright postition the nearest competitor cant get within the 50 yard mark...but if there is no anchor down and there just going down the bank fishing,if another guys wants to be an a$$ he can pull right in front of him

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like Ive been getting cut off alot more this year than in years past. I very seldom say much if they need the spot that bad I guess they can just have it . I usually go way out of my way not to cut someone off.......