Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

wade fishing near louisville?

Hi! guys
    I'm wondering if anyone knows of any creeks/small streams within 30-40 minutes of Louisville that a fella could wade and fish this summer?

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: wade fishing near louisville?

Brashears ck. is a good one,a lot of smallies down by trailblazers and up to the ford. Just park off the road and go down the bank. Up from the ford you can wade a long way when the water's low, a lot of rock bass are easy to take with a small white slider.

Post Thanks / Like

You can use a 1/8th oz white spinner bait, small wee crank baits, beetle spins and inline spinners to catch just about anything swimming in the creeks. You can also fish in Floyds Fork off Hwy 60 south. Take the exit off the Gene Snyder Freeway at Middletown and head south. Go about 3 miles and you'll go over the bridge and see the turn off to the area you can park. Caught some nice fish there a couple of weeks ago. Even tried a new small white spinner bait I made especially for the creeks and caught several fish on my homemade bait.

Post Thanks / Like

right on, thanks!

where is brashear's creek?

Post Thanks / Like

At the far end of your distance is Elkhorn Creek just north of Frankfort. In the winter/spring Otter Creek (near Fort Knox) can be good with a seasonal trout stocking. I don't know about it at other times of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Elkhorn around Frankfort. I have fished all around the state, but the Elkhorn ranks among the top. It is loaded with smallies, LM, bluegill, and Warmouth. I had a blast the 6 years I lived around there on the elkhorn. Well worth the drive from Louisville. You can stop in Shelbyville on the way back at Ken-Tex BBQ for some great barbecue.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - I just saw the fish in your profile pic. NICE!!! I just got my first 7 pounder this past weekend. What did that one weigh? It looks nice and fat. Good fish!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Duke...I had seen the otter creek park website and was wondering about it. The website says you can catch some smallmouth in it during the summer when the water warms up a little.

Post Thanks / Like

wish i knew what she weighed...didn't have a working scale with us. Just caught her a couple of weeks ago while i was back home in arkansas.
    22" long with 16" girth. My friend who took me caught one with the same measurements later that evening.
    It was awesome!
    needless to say, it got me itching to wet a lure again as soon as possible.
    :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Col Forbin View Post
    Elkhorn around Frankfort. I have fished all around the state, but the Elkhorn ranks among the top. It is loaded with smallies, LM, bluegill, and Warmouth. I had a blast the 6 years I lived around there on the elkhorn. Well worth the drive from Louisville. You can stop in Shelbyville on the way back at Ken-Tex BBQ for some great barbecue.
    I've been looking at some canoe rental websites for places on the Elkhorn...looks beautiful. Is it shallow enough to wade or would I need a canoe?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by h0gfan View Post
    thanks Duke...I had seen the otter creek park website and was wondering about it. The website says you can catch some smallmouth in it during the summer when the water warms up a little.
    Otter creek is good for smallmouth in the summer. Nothing big but with light tackle and small jigs or shakey heads you can have a blast. Every now and then you can get into some good Kentuckies or even some two pound smallies. I have caught some five pound drum and that is a heck of a fight in the current. Just go to the park and go down stream. I have gone as far as Blue hole but not much past that.

Post Thanks / Like

Otter Creek is also stocked with rainbow trout.