Search Fishin.com

Thread: Weigh in chips?

Post Thanks / Like

Weigh in chips?

I've read some posts referring to "weigh in chips". I was wondering what the tournaments use as chips. I fish a couple of small tournaments a year and they have never used chips. It has'nt been an issue because the late weigh ins did'nt have anything, but it could become an issue. What do the tournaments use for chips and where can I get some. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weigh in chips?

I fished a small tournament this weekend and we were issued 2 numbered poker chips at the check in. At the livewell check we gave the attendant 1 chip and when we returned for the weigh in the attendant took the other chip. When I fished the BFL they used a numbered floating key chain..

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished several tournaments since late september of last year and let's just say that poker chips are the standard. Without them, there will be controversy. The best tournaments that I have seen run have poker chips in a dark bag. After registration, the competitor will draw a chip that serves as starting position. Granted that some tournaments have take-off number as registration number, it is not necessary to use this portion of the format. The chip that is drawn by or handed to the angler is written down beside their name by the director. We only use one chip and it MUST be in a designated bucket by the end of the tournament, i.e. 3:00 P.M.. Depending on your rules, ours state that if it's not in the bucket, you don't weigh in. I'm sure that it makes the weigh-in much easier and less controversial for tournament directors and participants. You can get poker chips from just about anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a variety of things that work. As someone already stated, poker chips are the norm. They can be purchased in a box of 100 or so. You can paint them, use sharpies on them, kind of do whatever.

At the national championship for FOM we use key chains with numbers on them.

Another FOM director uses bingo balls to draw for position and then gives out a business card of his that has his phone number in case of emergency and he writes blast off number on the back.

However, we also use weigh in slips and you must pick that up from the director or another staff member before you can weigh in. Upon late arrival the staff member will document that on the weigh in slip.