Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Barry Guest

Question McNeely lake, fish safe to eat

Anyone know if the fish in McNeely are safe to eat? I've heard things in the past not too????

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McNeely lake, fish safe to eat

i have seen people haul them home too eat- bluegill, catfish and bass. but for myself i wouldnt do it. i grew up right down the street from there and i have seen that lake go through some bad times. IMO i think that all the fertalizers and sprays the golf course uses would run off into the lake. i have heard it is cleaner now than it has been in the last 20 years or better so it might be ok.

Post Thanks / Like

not me...Ive seen the empty barrels laying in the bottom of that thing with stuff floating on top the water around them....yuk...they say its cleaner now..but..not me

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I wouldn't think of eating anything that comes out of there. The fishing is ok and I enjoy the closeness to the house. And I have caught some nice fish out of there but I weigh them, take pics and throw them back. I agree with the golf course fertilizer theory and I have heard stories of waste somehow getting in there. But the kicker for me is that, during the summer, that is the only lake that I have fished that size, that gets so stagnant, nasty and mosquito infested, it is impossible to enjoy. But there are other days that I thank God, I have a decent lake that close to me. If you choose to eat the fish, I advise having the poison control number handy. Just my two cents!

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up with that lake on my back doortstep my whole life...wouldn't eat anything out of there. I've seen barrels, cars, and what I can only catagorize as cow-sized and hairy in there. Unless you want to have a kid with a 3rd arm or maybe 12 toes I'd stear clear of eating the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a travel brochure! Ha.

Post Thanks / Like

I have eaten bluegill and Crappie from the lake several times in the last few years. The lake is alot cleaner than it used to be. I would assume that it is like anything else just would not eat it several times a week. But once or twice a year should be ok or Fish and Wildlife would have out advisories. I am more worried about all the duck and goose dropping around the ramp making me sick than eating the fish....LOL!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The main things to watch out for when eating fish are (1) mercury (2) pcbs, and (3) disease and parasites from human or animal waste.

McNeely has a lot of exposure to both human and animal wastes. Septic tanks still drain into the lake during heavy rain flows. Signs are posted along the lake that say this. The extreme amount of waterfowl do pollute the lake, and could contribute to parasitic infection of the fish. The US Geological Survey lists the lake as having 'contaminated sediment'.

However, on the other hand, I've kept fish from Mcneely in my home aquarium. They appeared very healthy, and aside from some fin parasites, did not show any sign of disease.

Personally though, I wouldn't eat any fish from Mcneely for two reasons. First, its a relatively small lake, and keeping and eating fish makes for poor fishing. Secondly, the fish could be contaminated, so why take the chance?

Post Thanks / Like

Not doubting you one bit on all the statements you made. So please don't take this the wrong way but if I ever go there again I will be huntin for those signs. I for one have never seen them. You would think that the signs would be posted at the Ramp where people would be taking fish from the lake. If not then they should be.

Post Thanks / Like

David is absolutely correct. I ate a couple of crappie one time out of McNeely and then saw the signs and i won't do it again. If you walk around the lake they are posted every so often.

Post Thanks / Like

Growing up in Jefferson County I fished there a lot as a kid. Seeing the scum that used to live in those apartments and the stuff they threw in there just confirmed to me that I would never eat anything out of there. The apartments are gone but the filth remains. However some of my biggest gills have come from there so take it FWIW.

Post Thanks / Like

At one time there were three sunken boats in the lake, and at least one refrigerator. I've seen several 55 gallon barrels underwater too.

The signs warning against sewage contamination are near the apartments.