Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Info on Otter Creek area??

I am heading down to Otter Creek camping with the family this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on where I can go to fish in this area? Thanks for any help you can be as we are leaving in about 5 hours. If you have ideas and wanna call me after that, my number is 502-689-5528.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Info on Otter Creek area??

Hey Rob it depends on what you are fishing for but last pass on the creek it was still pretty busted up that I saw so it may be a little tougher than usual. I would fish near the bridge area on 1638 I do well when its prime for smallmouth and spotted bass. The state stocks trout in this area of the stream as well so you can catch rainbows as well in this area. The creek has a diverse set of species in it. I have caught sauger, spotted bass, largemouth, crappie and rock bass in the creek. shaky head jigs, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits are great for the smallies and spots. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never fished it, but I've heard Blue Hole can be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing is mediocre at Otter Creek. I've caught a few smallmouth there. Just so you know, if a game warden stops you, you're supposed to have a trout stamp on your license to fish there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidPT40 View Post
    Fishing is mediocre at Otter Creek. I've caught a few smallmouth there. Just so you know, if a game warden stops you, you're supposed to have a trout stamp on your license to fish there.
    When did this change? Last I heard the only place that you needed a trout stamp was on the Cumberland River. Everywhere else you only had to have the stamp if you were kepeing trout. Maybe I better keep up with the regulations better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    When did this change? Last I heard the only place that you needed a trout stamp was on the Cumberland River. Everywhere else you only had to have the stamp if you were kepeing trout. Maybe I better keep up with the regulations better.
    It hasn't changed. Cumberland River is the only Kentucky waterbody where you need a trout permit just to fish.

http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/08fishboat4.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, I was able to land 5 SM (all in the 1-2 lb range) right at the bridge. I also lost 3 in the current, guess I did not have a good hook-set, but it was really a good way to spend an hour away from the kids. All fish were safely returned to the creek to get bigger for the next time
    I had the awsome fortune to run into 2 kids that were watching their dad fish, but they did not have poles so they could not fish. I luckily had the 2 poles that were sent to me by fishing for kids in my car, so I went up and got them, put them together, gave them some of the "proper" bait to use where we were and within 15 mins they BOTH landed their first ever SM Bass. I am very appreciative to the guys who sent those to me and I now know how good it feels to see someone elses child catch a fish, not to mention the appreciation the dad showed for the gesture. I told him where the equipment came from and he said he had never heard of the site but would try to check it out at the library in his area. I got the impression the family was a little "down on their luck" and otherwise would never have been able to afford the stuff (and yes I gave their dad some jigs, spinners, buzz and shakey heads to use also . AGAIN, none of this would have ever been possible if not for the people on this board who helped me out, so I thank you for allowing me the pleasure of sharing fishing with their family the weekend, it made my WHOLE TRIP!!

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

That's an awesome story Rob! If you ever need anything else, let me know on here and I will be glad to give some up. I have a few poles that I haven't used for years along with some baits.