Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "SNAKE"!!!

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation "SNAKE"!!!

Last night while fishing down at Herrington my Son-in-law said "Holy crap a snake"! It was swimming toward the back of the boat and started to come into the boat. My son-in-law in a panic started to swat at the snake trying to scare it away. As his luck would have it.......He snagged the darn thing! Now the fun has really started.
    I said "what in the heck are you gonna do now"! Lip that darn thing and get him off! This has to be the funniest thing that I have ever seen in my life. Him dancing around with a 4 foot snake on the end of his pole, arms stretched out to keep the snake away and the snake thrashing around and striking all over the place trying to get free.
    After about what seemed like forever we made our way over to a house boat and pinned the snake down with the net so I could unhook it. This also took several attempts as the snake would slither off the boat towards mine or the water.
    We laughed and talked about that the rest of the night and I'm sure we will talk about it for a long time to come. Definatley a trip to remember. I have been fishing for a long time and never had this happen but I assure you that I will keep a good eye on the water for these critters in the future.
    Some of he things that were said during this Fun Time I can't post, but you can imagine the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "SNAKE"!!!

The snakes our definitely thick this year. I am seeing about 5 - 10 a day here on Ky lake and Barkley. Luckily I haven't had any close calls like you. I am not afraid of snakes at all - when they are in a cage and I know what they are - I won't even hesitate to hold one. In fact I have owned several. However, when they are going through the yard, or especially swimming in the water - I am scared to death of them. I just let them be, and they have never bothered me, hopefully it will stay that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, saw several, I mean several at Rough River last weekend. They were brown and had like brownish orange patches down their back. One guy told me he was sure they were Copperheads---I didn't think so, but they may have been.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: "SNAKE"!!!

I'm like Col Forbin. I can handle snakes in a controlled situation. Also had snakes as pets. I grew up in south east part of north carolina and snakes were a part of every day life. This was on the water, un-expected, and about dark. Surprised! and I dont like Surprises like that. Son-in-law (Wes) said he would have screamed like a little girl and swam to the bank if the snake would have gotten on to the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: "SNAKE"!!!

I guess what Col Forbin is saying about the snakes being thick this year is right on target. I saw two together at the farm pond last weekend. It had been a couple of years since I had seen a snake at the farm pond...I wonder what's making them thicker this year more than other years? These two I saw were about four foot long I guess. I'm not into snakes at all, never had them as pets and I'm totally skeered of them...I couldn't tell you the difference between a rattler or a copperhead or a water moccassin, they're all in the "get-the-heck-out-of-dodge" category in my opinion.

To bad someone who's "snake friendly" couldn't rig one up to the under side of his truck and park it where those scum bags have been stealing those catalytic convertors.

Post Thanks / Like

now you're talking, chub. a rattler car alarm designed for the underside. we could even get roland to endorse it. i'm starting the schematics right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Yeah, saw several, I mean several at Rough River last weekend. They were brown and had like brownish orange patches down their back. One guy told me he was sure they were Copperheads---I didn't think so, but they may have been.
    The colors you just described are very much like a copperhead, and they love the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Took the boys fishing at Bresher's Creek and seen two of them. Had to kill the bigger one of the two cause he would leave us alone. He kept coming back to the same spot and I was afraid he would have possible bit one of the boys. Water Mocassin for sure about 4 ft long and as thick as my wrist. Even after I broke his back about 6 to 8 inches back from his head he kept trying to bite at whatever was in front of him....You could see that white mouth and fangs plain as day..... The other one was around 3 feet long and about as big around as my thumb...He got smart and swam off when I startled him off the bank.

Anyway we caught some nice fish and caught one smallie that was way over 15" for sure...Great thing about the Smallie, I caught it on one of my own personally tied wee spinner baits I made...... Several Saugar caught as well.....

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody that spends much time outside should get a pocket guide that shows you how to identify snakes. I can't tell you how many people I've seen terrified by a water moccasin or copperhead that turned out to be a brown water snake. Once I catch the snake and ID it for them they are usually OK with it. I was fishing the river one day when a group of men on the bank were jumping up and down, screaming and cursing, their wives and kids were doing the same. I pulled the boat close to see several small water snakes swimming close to the bank. Every time the snakes got close to the bank the men would smack them with a net, the snakes would just try again. I got close enough and my son jumped out of the boat, caught all the small snakes and put them in his pocket. They were all screaming "water moccasin". After my 9 year old showed them the difference they probably felt kind of stupid...

MarkW-Take a look at the head, if it has a small head, black eyes with brown body and darker brown marks on it's back it's a brown or banded water snake. Copperheads will be bright orange to tan with "copper" colored marks on their back. The most identified mark is their head, copperheads have wide heads and wide set jaws, the head will clearly look arrow shaped. Their eyes are the same tan color of their body.

MsgMills, where's Bresher's creek? Unless it is in western KY in the Mississippi drainage what you saw was a brown water snake or banded water snake as well. Sorry, there just aren't water moccasins anywhere near central Kentucky. No confirmed accounts that I've heard of anyway.

I understand that people have severe phobias about snakes, my wife is one of those, but even poisonous snakes are only out to protect themselves. They do not chase you or try to do you harm. If you are in a boat and a snake swims toward you, maybe it is tired and the closest place to rest happens to be your boat. Throw the trolling motor in gear and outrun him. If you are on a bank and a snake is swimming toward you, they're probably trying to get out of the water, not hurt you. They are a part of nature. This link has alot of good info on snake identification. http://www.kentuckysnakes.org/

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the link. very informative and easy to understand. granted, i can't stand the sight of a snake (i know, i'm a wuss), but i'm camping cave run lake starting wednesday thru sunday, so at least i'll be able to keep a 'better' eye out.

thanks again, 47.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: "SNAKE"!!!

Again, Great link! I am 99% sure it was a brown water snake. With it being half dark, surprised, and creeped out we didn't try to figure out what it was. I will study for the future though. This is some good info to have.
    I heard from Rick (ownwer of Pandora Marina) that there was someone bitten over the weekend. No details.

Post Thanks / Like

Its just not right for something that doesnt have legs to be able to move that fast! Make you go through a bow movement and physical movement! ****, Run!!!!!!!! LOL I think last yrs drought has made them that much worse this yr. Fished a club tourney at green river saturday at rochester, one of buddies was running down the river, looked down and one was curled up in the boat by the throttle. I am sure he about **** hiself!