Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dale Hollow info???

I posted this on the Kentucky Board as well.

I'm taking a group of 3 teenage boys to Dale the last week of this month and looking for advice on the what/how/when/where to target that might keep their interest.

We're staying in the Sulpher Creek area and I'm somewhat familiar with the lake...I've never really fished it enough to know much.

I've heard Walleye at night during that time frame might be fun and wondering if anyone out there might be willing to share some tactics and areas, or maybe even recommend an affordable guide.

My email address is craigdstanley@hotmail.com to reach me directly

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dale Hollow info???

The night bite should be in full swing by then for the smallmouth, as it is picking up more and more each day as long as the nights don't deep down into the fifties. The day fishing is falling off right now as it continues to get warmer each day, so your best bet would be right at dark or a few hours up in the morning if day fishing is what you had in mind with top water spooks, chug bugs, swimming a grub, or carolina rigging. Of course the jig is always hard to beat on the lake if deeper methods call for it. The area you are staying in has been very productive since winter from there up to willow grove area and down to the galton holler or holly creek has been real good. The night bite has really started to turn on in the last week with several slot fish being caught and several guys catching overs(21 inch) fish. The jig has been the ticket for the smallies at night and will continue to be good until late fall. Some walleye are being caught on main lake points with spooks as fish are feeding or chasing minnows up shallow on rocky banks and trapping them. If you hear a sucking noise in the dark or fish hitting top water busting minnows, throw that BIG spook into the darkness at them and "slow walk the dog" back to the boat and hang on. As far as a guide, Greg Brisendine is hard to beat with the night action for smallmouth on the hollow at "from dust till dawn" guide service. He is and usually are on fish and his season is just now starting up for the summer night time fishing. You can reach him on the main fishing forum page at www.smalljaw.com or at the following number or e-mail
    phone: 270-783-3657 11:00 Pm - 7:00 AM
    greg.brisendine@weyerhaeuser.com

He fishes out of a big boat on the lower end of the lake out of horse creek marina. Give him a shout and try, you won't be disappointed. Tell him stratos 283 recommended him to you. Good luck and be safe out there on the water..........283

Post Thanks / Like

Great info 283...thanks a bunch! I may contact Greg if we can fit it in the budget.

Post Thanks / Like

I have property in Sulphur Creek and we are usually fishing down at Dale at least every two weeks.

As for the smallies the night bite is definitely your best bet. But its a lot harder to fish at night and with 3 teenage guys might not be the safest bet, especially if they have never fished at night. You can always catch fish during the day, but its a little slower and you have to fish anywhere from 15-25 foot of water.

As for the walleyes at Dale they are always hit and miss. One night you can go out and catch your limit in 2 hours, and th enext night you could go out and not even mark one on your fishfinder.

So stick with the smallies and thats your safest best. Just remember Sulphur creek is in Kentucky. As soon as you leave the creek its Tennessee and you will need a Tn license.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishmanrq.....CDS was coming down the end of june when he wrote this and I replied to him. Didn't know if you noticed that or not, but I did talk to him on another fishing form as that time frame got near. I have not seen a reply from him to see how they did or what they caught.

As far as the fishing right now, the day bite is not pratical right now and you would be lucky to even get a bite with the water temps in the mid 90's and with all the boat traffic from the BIG wave makers and pleasure boaters stirring things up, the best thing you would get would be a good sun burn if not protective with alot of sun block and staying in the water alot. The night bite is the only way to fish at the current time, with more comfortable conditions. Fish are holding deep right now in 35+ foot of water in a more comfort zone, but won't be long when the water temps start to fall and they start schooling up and head back up in the creeks the day bite will be back again.............283

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks for that info. I should be heading down there in two weeks to do some fishing again. I usually walleye fish all summer so all we do is go out at night and troll.

I try to avoid the pleasure boaters and heat as much as possible as well.

I love the smallies though. Caught a 5 pounder trolling right at daylight the last trip. Our big smallie trips usually start around Thanksgiving all the way through March. I am really starting to get the hang of the float n fly and its a blast.