Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Skin Cancer Awareness

Fellas I had a scare with a biopsy from my nose a few weeks ago and fortunately the results came back with no cancer. (whew) Just wanted to remind everyone that it's serious and even though I use sunscreen most of the time it's not enough, it will be all the time now. Been fishing since I was a toddler and back then noone used sunscreen, I was told that's when most of the damage is done as well. So be careful when your out there sunshine or not!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Skin Cancer Awareness

Well said!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Skin Cancer Awareness

Almost the same boat as you, I had a form of skin cancer but the doctor says it won't kill me. I had mine tested last year. Sunscreen is a must in my boat. Sometimes I still forget though. But I am getting better at using it.

Post Thanks / Like

Don you are so right, but it's hard sometime to remember or make yourself do it. I've had a bunch of stuff froze and cut off of me, and so far no malignent areas. Nice awareness post for all to listen.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Post... I think about all the years of running around in the summer with no sun block. I hope I didn't do too much damage. I now keep a bottle of SPF 50 in the spray bottle in my boat and use it everytime. One note here, I read in one of my bass books that sunscreen and Deet are major fish repellants. That's why I use the spray to keep as much off my hands as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd2 View Post
    Good Post... I think about all the years of running around in the summer with no sun block. I hope I didn't do too much damage. I now keep a bottle of SPF 50 in the spray bottle in my boat and use it everytime. One note here, I read in one of my bass books that sunscreen and Deet are major fish repellants. That's why I use the spray to keep as much off my hands as possible.
    Yep, the spray type sunscreen is what I use now as well. It's just easier and you can limit how much is on your hands. I learned that sunscreen residue on your hand can ruin or eat through some reels side plate paint. My Curado SF from a few years ago is still gummy feeling when I palm it in my left hand as I fish I can't think of what else could have done it? So I do my best to keep my left hand away from sunscreen!
    Didn't Bill Dance have skin cancer and from that get the sponsor Blue Lizard suncreen?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think skin cancer gets the respect that it deserves. I had a spot on my face and I thought no big deal. The doctor will cut it off and I will be fine. The first clue I got that this could be serious is when I went to a general surgeon and he refused to take it off because he was afraid he would butcher my face. He recommended a plastic surgeon. The first thing the plastic surgeon said was "it looks like melanoma, are you working"? I said yes and he told me that it had to come off today and that I wouldn't be working for a month. He took a piece of meat out of my cheek the size of a half dollar. They tested it while I was still on the table. He said "I'm sorry, it's malignant". He told me that they would send it off to see if he got it all. He said to come back in three days and that he wanted to see my parents and my wife and he would give us the news. As I was getting dressed to go home, the doctor talked to my parents. He informed them that it didn't look good. That was a long three days. We all went in to his office after the three days waiting to hear the worst. The doctor walks in with my test results. He had this huge smile on his face. I was confused on what was happening. He spoke up and said that the test showed he got it all and that the cancer hadn't spread. He suggested we go out and celebrate. I was the first patient he ever got to in the first stage. I had to go for test twice a year for ten years and was then considered cured. I still go to a dermatologist once a year. I have had numerous other moles and blemishes taken off. They don't even hesitate now. Don't even ask me, they just cut them off. So please give skin cancer respect. I always wear a hat, sunglasses and of course sun screen. I am supposed to put on sunscreen right after I brush my teeth every morning but I have to admit I don't seem to get around to it. Be careful out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Morone View Post
    I don't think skin cancer gets the respect that it deserves. I had a spot on my face and I thought no big deal. The doctor will cut it off and I will be fine. The first clue I got that this could be serious is when I went to a general surgeon and he refused to take it off because he was afraid he would butcher my face. He recommended a plastic surgeon. The first thing the plastic surgeon said was "it looks like melanoma, are you working"? I said yes and he told me that it had to come off today and that I wouldn't be working for a month. He took a piece of meat out of my cheek the size of a half dollar. They tested it while I was still on the table. He said "I'm sorry, it's malignant". He told me that they would send it off to see if he got it all. He said to come back in three days and that he wanted to see my parents and my wife and he would give us the news. As I was getting dressed to go home, the doctor talked to my parents. He informed them that it didn't look good. That was a long three days. We all went in to his office after the three days waiting to hear the worst. The doctor walks in with my test results. He had this huge smile on his face. I was confused on what was happening. He spoke up and said that the test showed he got it all and that the cancer hadn't spread. He suggested we go out and celebrate. I was the first patient he ever got to in the first stage. I had to go for test twice a year for ten years and was then considered cured. I still go to a dermatologist once a year. I have had numerous other moles and blemishes taken off. They don't even hesitate now. Don't even ask me, they just cut them off. So please give skin cancer respect. I always wear a hat, sunglasses and of course sun screen. I am supposed to put on sunscreen right after I brush my teeth every morning but I have to admit I don't seem to get around to it. Be careful out there.
    Glad everything worked out. I have not had any melonoma yet, but have had several dozen basal cell types cut out. I also go the the dermatologist 2 or 3 times a year and have around 25 spots frozen off each time. Oh, and this is not an old person's problem. My first cancer was found at age 25.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that is scary! Can't imagine the thoughts that go through a persons head with that looming over them. Glad it has worked out.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife's dermatologist recommends Neutrogena. He said it is the only sunscreen on the market with Helioplex - the best UV protection. Perhaps another dermatologist or physician can comment.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is awesome, thanks Don, it could possibly save someones life who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    This thread is awesome, thanks Don, it could possibly save someones life who knows.
    Mark,
    I agree it's important because we are all so busy that things like this can be forgotten. It's kinda like high blood pressure you don't realize it's a problem...well until it's a problem. I will check into that Neutrogena sunscreen as mentioned in the other post. Have a good one buddy!