Search Fishin.com

Thread: Daytime fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Daytime fishin

guys, some of us can't do the night time thing, any tips for daytime bass?

My tactics have been deeper running cranks on the edges of flats or rock walls, rock bars, etc or plastics Trigged fished slow around shady docks, trees, etc.

Does anyone have any tips for helping a brother catch a few bass in the precious few hrs he has on the water?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Daytime fishin

You are on the right track. Deep water humps and ledges with carolina rigs. Locate the fish and they can be caught. All that being said I find this time of year the most challenging and I actually hate summer. It's too dang hot and I find the fishing to be slow most of the time. Fish really early a.m crack of dawn or at the end of the evening with some topwaters and you'll always catch a few. In my humble opinion fishing won't get really good again in the big lake until late fall. Find a good creek to wade or the Cumberland river. These kinda places can be great retreats to get away from the heat and the crowds and the fishing can be really good in these waters. Just remember they won't be as big on the whole as that of lake fish but on light tackle they can sure be a blast. The night bite can be good sometimes with big fish caught so if you can sneak out for a night bite every once in awhile try to do so. I have yet to hear of a real good night bite anywhere yet, or at least anybody sharing that info anyway, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Big question - What water are you fishing? the reason I ask is on The Ohio river I have "lunch bites" and the fish bite better for me right after 11am or so, on KY lake they bite better at dusk (4pm till dusk) for me. I haven't been catching ANYTHING worthwhile on crankbaits, switch to a jig or 10" worm and BAM! Yet other guys are catching them with deep diver crankbait so it does depend on the guy throwing the bait. don't just rely on the edge of the flats throw on top of them too, once you catch a fish make repeated cast to the same area and figure out what the structure their holding to.

I was out for an hour and a half last night and my son and I caught 16+ lbs in 20 minutes with our best 5 (in the same spot withing 20 yards of the area) it was awesome, but.... it was the first time all year this great fortune was bestowed upon he and I, when the jig slowed down we chunked a 10" power worm and it started up again, then back to the jig and repeat. Mike Iaconelli says it best "Never Give Up", we all hit slumps. try what I have done.....just go fishing, be it a new spot, point, ridge, cove, marina, rip rap etc.

Learn an area catch a few fish then tear into your maps and repeat elsewhere, it pays off!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am seeing that same trend kickin in. I work nights and try to get out as early in the a.m. as I can. Tough goin if I miss it. I have noticed the lake I am at the fish are suspending at 7 to 15 feet and slowed down alot. Plastics so far have been my saving grace.

Post Thanks / Like

try deadsticking a fluke as well. worked really well for me in summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam, U gotta get out at night dude... Go to the the big H and catch 18lbs or so.....Best time for us is right after dark..... well if you gotta fish during the day I would think first thing in the mornings with topwaters would be great.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guy, good words of wisdom here. I went to the KY River yesterday, check my report out.