Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Appalachicola/Port St. Joe

I am heading down there in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone out there had been out much lately-scallops or trout/redfish. Am staying on St. George Island and willing to go anywhere the fishing is best!

Thanks for any help.
    Chasmo from KY

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Appalachicola/Port St. Joe

Just to update anyone in Florida that reads these posts:

Fishing by far was best on the falling tides on secondary flats. Caught numerous trout in the 22-28 inch range and one that went 30 inches (all released if over 20 inches) on rootbeer grubs and Lucky Craft flash minnows. Throw in a few ladyfish, jacks, few blacktips and a couple flounder and it was a blast. Topped it off while throwing to a cruising ray and got into a fight with a 36inch cobia on 8# test in a foot of water-a fight that took 35 minutes to win-no release!!!

Scallops were plentiful in St. Joe Bay-if you knew where to look. Got our limit each time we went out.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Appalachicola/Port St. Joe

I love it down there. Ive stayed at Cape San Blas a few times. I hate leaving every time.

The fishing is fantastic! Snorkeling the grass flats is an experience for sure. Great catch on the cobe to! Was he tasty?!

Caught my biggest fish, a 7ft nurse shark, in three feet of water on 15# line there. Took three hours to get it in. I caught her right off of that little pier on the bay just at the bend on the cape by the big fire tower. Caught a few spinner sharks too. They look alot like black tips but when hooked they spend more time in the air then the water! Talk about fun!