Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Washington, Indiana, The good ole U.S.A..
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I be upset or not?

This has been bothering me for a couple weeks now. Our club had a kids tournament a couple weeks ago (on a lake in Ky). I took austin30900, which is my son, as most of you know. He fished for about 5 of the 8 hours, which I am very proud of by the way (being 8 yrs. old that is). Anyway, when we got to the weigh in, he was the only kid that didn't have a bass to weigh. That bothered me bad enough, then a fellow angler, one that I have the utmost respect for & a good friend of mine asked me "why didn't you just give him one of yours?" Now I am not mad at this guy at all. I am ticked to think that is what we are teaching our kids today. That it is ok to do this kind of thing. Now, here is my question. Do I have the right to be upset over this, or am I just being rediculous here? I am NOT saying that all these kids didn't catch their own fish. I am not pointing any fingers. I guess what I am asking is, if I have the right to be upset over this or not? Would you all be upset?

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I be upset or not?

It is hard to find men today with any integrity. I stand behind you 100%. It would upset me. JMHO.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

What you are talking about is one more sign/proof that America is financially, spiritually and MORALLY bankrupt and it is just a matter of time before we go under completely. I won't get on my soapbox but you are right to be ticked, and it does make you wonder how many of the other fathers are doing exactly what that guy suggested. It is definately the wrong lesson to be teaching a young man but one the he probably learned from his father, who had learned it from his father.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

It would bother me also. It seems somewhere along the way we started teaching our kids that there are no losers. Everybody gets a trophy. Nobody gets cut at tryouts. Everybody makes the team. Him making that statement about giving your son a fish to weigh in would send the wrong message to your son.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess I'll disagree with the others here. First, was there any chance he was just messin around? Second, even if all of the other kids really didn't catch their own, you and your son both know that you did it right. It just goes unspoken. I wouldn't be upset at all. I'm just glad to see 8 year olds fishing and not playing video games all of the time. JMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Bandit1,
    I feel you have every right to be upset at the father who suggested that you should have given your son one of your fish.... Your trying to teach him a lesson and that is if you catch the fish you weigh them in....If you don't then you watch and learn, simple plan.... I applaud you for your teaching ethics, same as I would have done for my two sons.......

Post Thanks / Like

Ethics! Something that is being lost in all aspects of our lives. If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. It may be a well worn statement but it rings very true. Thank you for teaching your son to do it right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub13 View Post
    It would bother me also. It seems somewhere along the way we started teaching our kids that there are no losers. Everybody gets a trophy. Nobody gets cut at tryouts. Everybody makes the team. Him making that statement about giving your son a fish to weigh in would send the wrong message to your son.
    You stole my post, lol. This is exactly how I feel. Heck they don't even keep score in grade school games at certain schools. Life is nothing more than winning and losing. You win some and you lose some, and this should be taught from birth on. You sir Bandit1 have the right idea, keep doing what your doing because you are doing it the right way in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I know ive already told you how i felt about it.Its suppose to be a fun event for the kids and i hate when kids dont catch one...Its not really to far off from your kids seeing you fish a tourney and cheating.Im like you i think if that was going to be the practice it should have been said before this outing even took place.I think its kinda crappy that the ones who did it right feel bad when they dont have anything and others where given one to save there feelings and not taught you win some you lose some.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be ticked at all, I would ask the guy what he mean't by the comment. Was he joking or not, just being a smarty pants? Then upon his answer I would decide what to do and I would also wonder about any tournaments I fished against this guy in the future based upon his (wrong)answer. Until then it's all just guessing and judgements. JMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive learned way more about myself and about life the times Ive been the looser than I ever did being the winner. This is just one of the stepping stones in life that all decent humans have to go through, your son will definately be the better for the experience. Hats off to you as a father raising your child with some ethics. This will probably be just one of many reasons in the future your son will respect you as a father and a man. As far as getting mad at the other fellow ......I try not to sweat the little stuff.........

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Should I be upset or not?

In a day when kids are told there are no losers, I'm not surprised. You did the right thing and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. When t-ball stopped keeping score things changed.
    Who was it that said, you have got to stand for something or you will fall for anything? Kids today must learn that coming in second is to be second loser. There is only one winner and it should and I hope will always be that way.
    Maybe your son needs a better teacher!lol just kidding....