Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    erogers Guest

Ky River Asian Carp

Several of us found this Asian Carp floating but alive on the Ky River a couple of miles above the new Fint's ramp between locks 5 & 6. Anyone else seen any of these on the Ky River? First one I've seen, surprised by the size.

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l374/errog123/carp1.jpg

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l374/errog123/carp2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Ky River Asian Carp

Dams without working locks are supposed to be absolute barriers to the travel of these pests, so I was under the impression we wouldn't have to worry too much about them invading the hallowed Kentucky River, but maybe some made it up there before they closed the locks. If so, that's horrible news. I emailed Kerry Prather asking him about them; I'll let you know what he says.

erogers Guest

Re: Ky River Asian Carp

I emailed him this morning. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never seen such a fish. Almost looks like a Salmon laying on the deck....Wonder how long before the Snakehead shows up?

erogers Guest

Reply from Fish and Wildlife:

"This really wasn’t an oddity. We have seen these fish for a while in the Kentucky River. When we had the Wild Turkey spill which killed a lot of fish, there were many bighead carp in our fish counts. High water flows in the Kentucky River allow the fish to move pretty freely over the lock and dams."

Post Thanks / Like

I saw one of these fish at least that big in the Little Kentucky River during the 2004 KBF State Championship tournament. Jumped right next to the boat while I was fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    I have never seen such a fish. Almost looks like a Salmon laying on the deck....Wonder how long before the Snakehead shows up?
    Don me and a buddy snagged a 45lber from the Falls a few years agowith several other big ones. Let's just say they didn't make it back to the water. Guys if you catch these fish, kill them all we DO NOT WANT THESE FISH IN OUR WATERS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Don me and a buddy snagged a 45lber from the Falls a few years agowith several other big ones. Let's just say they didn't make it back to the water. Guys if you catch these fish, kill them all we DO NOT WANT THESE FISH IN OUR WATERS.
    I Know that guy Mark,lol Don't forget the 51#er the week before....They make great fertilizer..

Post Thanks / Like

I belive I was your observer bassnyde during that tourny, yes that was a very big fish, you pitched next to a log and the fish went balistic, first one I ever saw. also did we see some fry that looked like them also?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Headrick View Post
    I belive I was your observer bassnyde during that tourny, yes that was a very big fish, you pitched next to a log and the fish went balistic, first one I ever saw. also did we see some fry that looked like them also?
    The fry resemble shad, a big reason alot of DNR are against transporting shad as bait to other areas I here.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw a guy on TV cookin them up several different ways and telling us what a great food source they could be. Yuck! More like dog food if you ask me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post
    Saw a guy on TV cookin them up several different ways and telling us what a great food source they could be. Yuck! More like dog food if you ask me.
    I saw on another forum they were calling it KY tuna or something...I'm with you birdstrike I can't get by the slime and smell of those thing and I bet my dog wouldn't even like it.lol