Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishing at Cannelton Dam

I'm not trying to steal the thunder from the other post but it brought up a question Ive always been curious about. What kinda of oppurtunity does that area lend itself to for bank fisherman? Can the hybrids be caught from the bank or is a boat a must? I know at the Falls you really need a boat to have the good fishing or at least that's been my experience most of the time. I have always wanted to fish that area but not knowing it at all I'm a little Skeered to put my boat in there. The KDFWR rates that area as the #1 spot in the state for hybrids and that has always intrigued me. I however do not want to drive that far to find out it's a bust from the bank with no chance of catching anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing at Cannelton Dam

Hard to bank fish there but at Markland a bank fisherman can wear them out

Post Thanks / Like

There is access to the dam by road through Willamette Paper Co. I've never been on it but you can ask the locals how to get there. There about 2-3 prime spots where the rip-rap ajoins the dam where bank fishing seems to be the best, at least that seems to be the case I observe while fishing from my boat. I don't believe you should fear putting your boat in at Hawesville and heading to the dam, once there just watch the other boats to get a feel for the water. I believe the only real danger is getting to close the the gates and that's assuming you have a safe boat for the river. I will agree that the hybrid/striper fishing is usually good this time of yr. I have been doing pretty well so far, as long as the river stays in good shape. Good luck and see you there sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellars.

Post Thanks / Like

Mhall
    You can fish from the bank there. Ive seen mostly cats caught there from the bank but if you can catch them running little water the hybrids are there. Seen a couple earlier this spring being pulled in from the bank. The telephone number to the lock is 812-547-2962 or VHF Channel 13. Just call them before you make the drive down there, they will tell you how much water they are running and they will tell you if there has been any boats down there fishing. To get to the **** from road Ky side, right off US 60 you will see a sign for Willamette Paper Mill turn right if you are coming from the east or left if you are coming from the west. The road if between Hawesville and Cloverport. That road will take you right to the ****. There is a nice sandy beach there you can drive down it if we have not had any rain. There is a bait shop in downtown Hawesville. Take a right after the first gas station on your right, there will be a set of traffic lights. Sorry I dont know the name of the road. Then take a left a the next set of lights and you will see the Bait shop on your left about five blocks down. It is a little old man with a shop in his back yard, has what you need to catch them on down there, live shinners also. Can catch some, smallmouths, crappie, and small stripers right off the rocks. Hope this helps you Mhall

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big_cat View Post
    Mhall
    You can fish from the bank there. Ive seen mostly cats caught there from the bank but if you can catch them running little water the hybrids are there. Seen a couple earlier this spring being pulled in from the bank. The telephone number to the lock is 812-547-2962 or VHF Channel 13. Just call them before you make the drive down there, they will tell you how much water they are running and they will tell you if there has been any boats down there fishing. To get to the **** from road Ky side, right off US 60 you will see a sign for Willamette Paper Mill turn right if you are coming from the east or left if you are coming from the west. The road if between Hawesville and Cloverport. That road will take you right to the ****. There is a nice sandy beach there you can drive down it if we have not had any rain. There is a bait shop in downtown Hawesville. Take a right after the first gas station on your right, there will be a set of traffic lights. Sorry I dont know the name of the road. Then take a left a the next set of lights and you will see the Bait shop on your left about five blocks down. It is a little old man with a shop in his back yard, has what you need to catch them on down there, live shinners also. Can catch some, smallmouths, crappie, and small stripers right off the rocks. Hope this helps you Mhall

Chris
    Thanks Chris, killer information, thanks to all that responded.

Post Thanks / Like

Any time man. Glad I could help you out.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can catch stripers from the bank at the ****. The directions may fool you because Willamette has been bought out. Look for the sign on hwy 60 that says Domtar. Take a right and go ~2-3 miles until you see the guard shack. Take a quick left before the shack and cross the RR tracks. It will be your first right after a couple of parking lot entrances. Should lead you directly to the ****. Now in a previous post, I alluded to the fact that they are constucting a hydro **** there on site. Now whether access has been denied to fish the bank, I do not know. I will call JN at the baitshop tonight and see what he knows.
    As for the fishing, you have to get as close to the first gate as possible. That is the deepest hole around the dam and usually has current flowing. I recommend 3/4 to 1 oz. jigs with flukes. You can always throw a carolina rig with 2-3 egg sinkers and either flukes or small skipjack if you can catch em. Throw out into the boil and let it sink, it will travel down river with the current a bit, then hold on. You will lose some rigs but thats river fishing. You can PM me to see if I can think of anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Man that sounds fun!

Post Thanks / Like

"As for the fishing, you have to get as close to the first gate as possible."

Roughly, how long of a cast is that? What is the typical depth around there?

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

aren't they gonna build a power plant up there and restrict access soon? , just remember reading it on here.....long time cannelton fisherman.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    "As for the fishing, you have to get as close to the first gate as possible."

Roughly, how long of a cast is that? What is the typical depth around there?

Andrew
    Andrew you and I may have to ride down there, I'll drive and we'll check it out from the bank first then maybe go back with the boat.