Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about Poaching

Interesting question.............

I can talk to ANYONE......and I MEAN anyone.........

While on the Cumberland River this past weekend, I talked to lots of people.....most were doing as we were, catching some smaller fish, some slots, and a few over........

One group I came to either didn't care or didn't know about the slot, and were keeping SLOT fish.....I know this because they showed me a couple REALLY nice bows and browns in the slot.

So, here are the questions........

1). I think they really didn't know about the slot, BUT after I told them, they were really indifferent about it, and basically said "oh well, they're dead now, so we might as well take them".

2). I hinted that I'd dump the fish, even though they were dead.....I know, I KNOW total WASTE of the resource, but closer to legal, if you ask me.

Legally, they were DEAD MEAT, if caught..........I wasn't going to call the warden or anything......It didn't seem like REAL poaching, but a simple mistake.........

What would you do with regards to EACH question.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about Poaching

Man i'm cold hearted I guess. On each question my answer is that "ignorance is no excuse" once they were told they should have dumped the fish by not doing it that shows me they feel above the law. BTW, I will call the law if I have cell service.
    The way I see it is the law is there for a reason and people who can't even follow these basic laws might even be fishing without a license. I pay my dues so should they and if that means getting caught for breaking the law so be it.

P.S.
    If I get a ticket for speeding or parking I don't get upset because I break the law alot more than I get caught and so does 99.9% of us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Interesting question.............

I can talk to ANYONE......and I MEAN anyone.........

While on the Cumberland River this past weekend, I talked to lots of people.....most were doing as we were, catching some smaller fish, some slots, and a few over........

One group I came to either didn't care or didn't know about the slot, and were keeping SLOT fish.....I know this because they showed me a couple REALLY nice bows and browns in the slot.

So, here are the questions........

1). I think they really didn't know about the slot, BUT after I told them, they were really indifferent about it, and basically said "oh well, they're dead now, so we might as well take them".

2). I hinted that I'd dump the fish, even though they were dead.....I know, I KNOW total WASTE of the resource, but closer to legal, if you ask me.

Legally, they were DEAD MEAT, if caught..........I wasn't going to call the warden or anything......It didn't seem like REAL poaching, but a simple mistake.........

What would you do with regards to EACH question.

Later,

Geo
    Well Geo, 1. As stated to me by a DNR once along time ago " Ignorance is not above the law" It took me a minute but now understand very well. And if they didn't know the laws they probably didn't have a stamp either. 2.Sure go ahead and keep them when they get busted with them and have to pay a hefty fine they will learn a lesson that could save a trouts life in the future. Just my thoughts ...Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Dang it DJD you type faster than me..lol Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

You guys need to lighten up, people do make mistakes, as far as the law goes, was Andy Griffith as hard as you guys, no. But Barney Fife was. I would be worried about the guys that are out there doing it time and time again. The Bass is not an endangered fish, There are plenty of them, I tournament and I release every bass but if some want to keep them thats ok to. I but there are things you all do that bother other people, I am sure we all do. I think it is sad that this is a topic on this board. Hope you guys don't go biblical and start pitching stones at people, remember those without sin cast the first stone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tfmuch View Post
    You guys need to lighten up, people do make mistakes, as far as the law goes, was Andy Griffith as hard as you guys, no. But Barney Fife was. I would be worried about the guys that are out there doing it time and time again. The Bass is not an endangered fish, There are plenty of them, I tournament and I release every bass but if some want to keep them thats ok to. I but there are things you all do that bother other people, I am sure we all do. I think it is sad that this is a topic on this board. Hope you guys don't go biblical and start pitching stones at people, remember those without sin cast the first stone.
    Dude, we're not talking about BASS in the first place............Talking about trout, which REQUIRE a trout stamp, AND have SPECIFIC rules.

I kind of agree with the guys above, but understand mistakes.......I made a couple last year, where I actually kept a couple short browns (didnt' realize that until AFTER I called the DNR to self report)......and had MORE than the 5 trout limit in my possession. The possession issue came about because I was on a 3 day trip and harvested fish EACH day and had a couple limits of fish in the cooler..........

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

So what you are saying tfmuch is that laws are made to be broken not followed? You cant tell me these guys didnt know the laws, they just didnt care. Well I caught 13 short bass today at Nolin,I quess I should have put them in the skillet. I dont know is not an excuse. It makes me sick to see people keeping fish that are not keepers. They are the same people fishing without the legal permits. It just makes it harder and cost more for the rest of us willing to pay our dues. I hope they get caught and have to do some time behind bars. What really makes me sick is for a fellow fisherman say this type of behavior is ok. What kind of person would say take it easy on these guys?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would have done the same, including not calling anybody, although they richly deserve the fines. I figure they'll eventually either get licensed or get caught, if they keep fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I should have said..........I agree with the posts above with regards to BREAKING the RULES............

While I may have believed they truely didn't know the rules, when I pointed out the slot, and the STILL chose to keep the fish.........

Now that I think more about it........they probably knew......but then again, if they truely KNEW........would the CLEARLY show me slot fish.

HM.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with most of you - ignorance is no excuse. You should be familiar with all of the regs before you even start anything. I think a fine would be a quick lesson for them. Some people don't think the rules apply to them, and it takes have to pay a fine for them to realize whether they agree with it or not, it is not their choice. I've made mistakes in the past and been fined for it. I didn't know you had to have a life vest in a canoe if you had a trolling motor on it. I paid my fine, and never forgot my life vest again.

Post Thanks / Like

It really boils down to which battles you choose to fight. Remember the old song that has the verse "don't do the crime if you can't do the time" breaking the law is easy until you get caught!
    I know there are no absolutes in the law but some enforcement has to take place and in this case thats a battle I will help enforce.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree people do make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. Apparently the fisherman that were informed that they were keeping trout that were illegal didn't learn from their mistake. If I kept trout illegally because I didn't know of the slot rule and was informed of it by a fellow fisherman ,those illegally kept trout would quickly become turtle food. By keeping them after being informed of the violation, you are sending the message that you don't give a darn about the rules.
    If you are bass fishing and hook a undersize bass and know it is going to die , do you keep it by rationalizing that it is going to die anyway..I think not.
    I keep the poacher hotline phone number coded in my cell phone to report violator...not to be a "RAT" but to protect our natural resources.

Like mentioned above ignorance of the law is know excuse..try telling a patrol officer that you didn't know the speed limit changed and you were sorry..ticket time.