Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Surf Fishing Help ???

My family decided that we would be coming to Gulf Shores for our family vacation this year and since I am from Kentucky and srictly bass fish there has not many oppotunities to surf fish here in the Bluegrass state. Any ideas that would be shared for species type, tackle, bait choices etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Surf Fishing Help ???

Skeeter, I'm here in KY. to but do enjoy surf fishing when I get the chance. We have a place in the Destin area we visit. I don't know as much as the locals down there but have learned a little and catch fish. What are you trying to catch? Off the surf I catch ocean cats, pompano, spanish macheral,cobia,and if I bring the right gear an occasional Shark, with a couple other fish I'm not sure of names. If you are close to a pier that is a little better fishing....the key is deeper water unless you are targeting shallow runners bonefish, snook, reds, spec's in the bay's. Just let me know and I'll let you know what little I know...Good luck Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

I also live in KY (louisville area) but I'm orginally from Alabama and still visit the Gulf often to fish. While I'm far from an expert in surf fishing, I have had my fair share of experience.

First thing first is when are you going? Different fish run at different times of the year.

For fishing strictly from the beach its important to look for "structure." The structure Im talking about is irregularities in the surf and sand bed. Look for rip currents, sand bars, and washes. Fish will stage in these areas awaiting to have bait swept to them.

For a very basic rig, use a simple fish finder rig with at pyramid weight adequate for surf conditions. I prefer smaller circle hooks, unless Im targeting large sharks, I wont use a hook any larger then 2/0. Its also always best to fish an a moving tide.

Let me know when you are going and we may be able to get more detailed for the targeted fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Before I moved to Tennesse , I surf fished a lot since I lived close to Jones beach. LOng Island.. Surf fishing is a lot differant then Bass fishing. You will need a Surf rod 7 to 9ft. and a good surf Reel ( PENN)? Your best bet would be go to a to a tackle store and find out whats biteing . JD 7 gave you some excellant advice. on condition of the surf etc. Hope the Blues are running you will have a ball... As for Sharks keep your hands a way from there mouths , They have TEETH . not like Bass. POst if you do any good .. YANK