Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rod Building ...

How many of you build rods and what type of equipment blanks handles guides etc, do you prefer ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rod Building ...

I have built a couple of rods and have repaired a bunch. The type of rods that you want to build depends on the type of fishing you want to do. I bass fish so I have built a couple of Loomis rods for worm and jig fishing.

If you could give a little more info and I will try to get you into the right direction. Ryan.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive built 2 7' st croix avids and a Loomis GL2 I was just wondering how many other people built rods just to trade info and tips and such I have a Pacific bay Rodsmith and a couple dryers Ive been repairing friends rods and my own and built 3 in the past year or so. Have you ever tried Rogue or Rainforest blanks I really like the St Croix Avid series alot

Post Thanks / Like

I've built around 10 rods. Mostly striper stuff, but also a few bass rods. Batson blanks, St Croix, Lamiglass, Rainshadow. I have one of those cheap wrappers from Cabelas. Mostly fugi guides. Done some exposed blank handles. Did up a couple of blanks spiral wrap.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of building a striper rod I fish lake cumberland in the fall and winter when bassin gets slow what blanks do you like for striper casting we troll live bait but I keep a rod ready if we catchem in the jumps what size and action do you like for casting a jig or a redfin ? Ron

Post Thanks / Like

I have built a rainshadow and realy like it. They are good rods for the money.

You say that you have a couple of dryers. Do you build your own? If so what would you charge to build one for me?

Post Thanks / Like

I made my 1st one but after that I bought the other It was cheaper mudhole.com has on for 47.00 and anglersworkshop.com has battery powered (4 AA) for around 60.00 Ron

Post Thanks / Like

what style dryer do you like the one I made was just a wooden v block stand with felt lining and velcro hold down you buy the wood and motor i would cut sand and stain it if you want that kind I bought a pacific bay dryer with roller stand for 65.00 i think its easier to work with Ron

Post Thanks / Like

I have repaired a lot of rods and I would like to a dryer that could hold multiple rods at one time. I don't think it would be real cost effective for me. Ryan.

Post Thanks / Like

I built my dryer too. You can buy the motors with the chuck and collar on ebay for around $25 shipped then all you have to do is build the stands for it. Just do a search for rod dryer, rod wrapper, or dryer motor and you'll find plenty. Just make sure you don't go over a 15 RPM.

Post Thanks / Like

my friend used a grill rotisserie motor he bought at shelby co. flea market for $5.00 and pvc fittings for chucks to make his it holds four it works pretty good

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to find a grill rotisserie motor too but I couldn't find any around here so I had to settle for ebay.