Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

creek fishing and camping

Hey fellows, haven't been able to fish for about three weeks due to a busy schedule and i'm looking to get back after it. Thinking about an overnight fishing and camping trip next weekend. We'd like to go on a river or creek where we could wade since we don't have a boat. Preferably looking for smallmouth, but we're open to anything. If anyone has any suggestions for a good place to go within a couple hours of lexington with a campground near the fishing, let me know. Thanks for the help, and good luck out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: creek fishing and camping

Just found some info on Otter Creek. Is it worth a ****?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChstRckwl View Post
    Hey fellows, haven't been able to fish for about three weeks due to a busy schedule and i'm looking to get back after it. Thinking about an overnight fishing and camping trip next weekend. We'd like to go on a river or creek where we could wade since we don't have a boat. Preferably looking for smallmouth, but we're open to anything. If anyone has any suggestions for a good place to go within a couple hours of lexington with a campground near the fishing, let me know. Thanks for the help, and good luck out there.
    Drop me a line...

redneckshadrap@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

Forks of the Elkhorn Creek campground just outside of Georgetown between Gtown and Frankfort on 460?. Good campground and good fishing right there for smallies.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

I think Otter Creek is worth a try. There is a trail that runs from the bridge at hwy 1638 all the way to the Ohio River. There are places to wade and walk the bank. I have always caught a few fish there. There is also a road from the campground down to the Ohio River at the old boat ramp. You would have the option of fishing the creek or the river. The campground is pretty nice too.

Post Thanks / Like

There is also primitive camping on Otter Creek as well, it all depends if you want to car-camp or pack it in... If I remember right there are several primitive site right on the creek... There are many good holes on the creek, I used to fish down there a lot and always caught fish...

Post Thanks / Like

I've fished that campground at the Forks of Elkhorn. Didn't get anything, but that could've been because the manager had to ask us to leave b/c we just showed up, didn't have a campsite. I knew it was going to happen and was just a matter of time, but it looked so inviting I couldn't pass it up.

Post Thanks / Like

FORKS OF ELKHORN CAMPGROUND.... yeah its nice, but the folks are jackarses....

Billy Elkins
    859-948-4928

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, they seemed to be. But it's at a real pretty bend in the creek, and though we didn't catch anything in the 20 minutes we were out there, we saw a few good sized smallmouth jumping where that small creek comes into the Elkhorn, over by the golf course. Might be worth another look in the future