Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Farm Pond tips???

Alright so I'm going fishing this afternoon at my buddy's farm pond... It's a 11 acres lake and is full of bass.... My problem is that I'm looking for the hawgs, not the 1 & 2 lber's... The buddy always throws a spinner bait and I always throw the 10" inch power worm..... The buzz bait bite used to be on fire, but now the fish won't even look at it... It's fairly swallow lake about 4' on average with a couple of deeper holes by the **** area... I've found some nice fish hanging on cover, but we have also caught a few in the middle, I guess there must be some kind of submerged cover out there.. Anybody out there got any good tips on farm ponds that I'm overlooking or not even thinking about... Thanks in advance... Hopefully I will able to post some pics tomorrow....

Oldyota

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Farm Pond tips???

Go against the grain. In other words do something tonight that these fish are not use to seeing, and use big lures. You'll catch less fish but may get that one you are looking for, providing they are there and it sounds like they are.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished a farm pond last week myself. 2 biggest fish (4.8 & 5) came off a buzzbait but only after the wind got up and created a chop on the water. We had already fished this part twice with the below items. In the morning when it was calm we used a Tiny Torpedo and was very subtle with it. A frog also worked moving, subtle. The plastic we used were 6" lizard black/blue and baby brush hogs (pumpkin)

Post Thanks / Like

I would tell you but that would be too easy. How bout you invite me along and I can show you rather than just tell you. It would be great (for me). Seriously throw big ledgebuster spinnerbait, big fatty jig, or 12"tourn worm. Good luck and if you do want me to come show you I could probably fit it in my schedule.

Post Thanks / Like

If there is a little wind blowing or some clouds. A chartreuse and white chatterbait will kill them especially if they've never seen it. My buddy caught a 9.3 this earlier this year on that chatterbait in a big pond we fish occasionally. If they used to really bite the buzzbait but not now, throw a walking bait (sammy in american shad or darker bluegill type patterns). I would also suggest big powerbait worms but you're already throwing them.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with a lot of what's being said here. Something else to remember to try. If the wind is not blowing much, try using a lot of these big, soft plastics with no weight. It will provide a more natural presentation and you'll get more bites!

Post Thanks / Like

Also a swimbait that mimics a bluegill might work. Two other baits that I have been real succesful with is a floating rap, silver/black back, # 5 or 7 and also an old school Bettle spin in the black with yellow strips, 1/4 oz. caught several over 5 with these baits.

Post Thanks / Like

pop r is killer in ponds. also use a FLUKE!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in agreement with smljaw about using big weightless plastics. I have had great success on the farm pond with a Zoom Mag II worm, fished weightless with a 4/0 EWG hook...Personally for me, I use a spinning outfit with 6 or 8 lb test so I can get a decent cast out of it...just make sure you've got the drag set right because of the light line.

Post Thanks / Like

When its tough, throw a fluke and you will catch fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree pop-r and buzzbait have been the best baits at my pond recently. at least for size, its just so hot especially in the shallower water like that, you pretty much need to get a reaction strike in order to catch anything, but I would go with at least a 3/8 ounce buzzbait, in chartreuse

Post Thanks / Like

FLUKE!!!!!!!!