Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up going to Cave Run for the first time

I'm going to Cave Run on Saturday for the first time. I will target bass.

Any tips/locations or other suggestions?

Also- where is a safe ramp? I don't want to get skunked AND lose my catalytic converter!

Thanks,

John

Post Thanks / Like

Re: going to Cave Run for the first time

Hey,
    Isn't that a muskie lake. And muskies eat a lot of bass. Be careful to stay inside the channel markings when running if you do not know the lake. If possible use your GPS, they left all the trees in the lake upon filling. Look for the grass and you should find some fish.

Post Thanks / Like

scotts creek should be safe, fish the weed edge on the deep side of zilpo flats for bass, c-rig worms and t-rigs should work

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Scott's Creek, it is usually more active and visisble. Points and rocky banks inside the mouths of the Licking River may also produce. Not a bad idea to use leaders on cranks and spinners if you plan to throw em. Any hit you get there could be one of those big toothy critters, and they will shred your line.
    Good Luck and Be Careful.

Post Thanks / Like

Beaver creek might be another option for you, just make sure you run between the markers. It has a good mix of grass/standing timber and for the most part you don't have to worry about the pleasure boaters as much. The flats off zilpo hold alot of fish but they really take a beating on the weekends. Alfrey or Scotts creek ramps should be safe. If you haven't been on the lake before and like your lower unit the way it currently is, I would stay out of the Licking river unless you idle. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree with Scott's Creek ramp. Make sure to get launching permit before getting to ramp. Secondly, a friend was down 2 weeks ago and said there was a new Water Petrol Officer out looking to make a name for himself. Was stopping everyone he could for safety checks, which was fine, but somewhat overly thorough. Suggest you make sure everythings in order on your boat, as it should be.
    As far as fishing for bass, its always been kind of hit or miss for us. At times, we have had good days throwing Senkos in Caney Creek( right across from Scott's Creek). Primarily on points and in the stick-ups. Hope you have a good day.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a tourney there this past weekend. A bunch of boats had their limit, but mostly fish under the slot. Did manage one over the slot, and one nice 14.5 inch fish that CRUSHED a spinnerbait. Man, I thought that one was going to be 4-5 lbs! Everything else on plastic. Main lake around grass is ypur best bet. No problem finding grass, it's everywhere. Like splatterback said, if you don't know the river, don't run it. Tons of stick ups just under the surface. Good luck and let us know how you did.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of great information... thanks to all. I just got back from Sportsman's Warehouse with some steel leaders. I just went in there for the leaders but ended up spending $38.

Another question: I hope to get there at 6:30 a.m. Where can I get a launching permit at that hour?

Post Thanks / Like

Best bet is Cave Run Pro Shop across the road from Scott's Creek ramp.