Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

good boat mechanic??

anyone got a # for a "GOOD" boat mechanic?
    my boat only acts up @times, and it seems everytime i put it in the shop im being told "nothing is wrong with it" seems to me ppl dont want to spend any time trouble shooting, or take it out and run it so it will act up.

starts and runs/idles fine, but sometimes you give it gas and it's liek you only give it 1/4 throttle, and takes 4-ever to plane out.. once plained it has power surges (not los of power, but gain) and it only tops out @ 45mph.

just had carbs/intake cleaned/synced and reeds checked. getting good fire, and EVERYTHING checks out fine.... strange, but sux!

motor is a 94 Yamaha 150 ProV

Post Thanks / Like

Re: good boat mechanic??

Take this question to bass boat central. They have a specific board for each type of motor. They have mechanics and other knowledgable guys that can help you. They can at least help you trouble shoot so you can give the mechanic a lead.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks ill go see what they can do for me

Post Thanks / Like

If you are local to Louisville or In southern Indiana there is a guy in Charlestown Indiana that is very good. Someone on this board turned me on to him several years ago and I will not let anyone else work on my boat. His name is Bill Mattingly 812-293-3020 Vey good mechanic and as honest as the day is long.

Post Thanks / Like

I had someone speak highly of that mechanic too. I have never used him, but he was recommended by a friend of mine.

Tony Reynolds in Shepherdsville is a good mechanic. I believe he is certified mechanic. He will take the time to explain what is wrong with the engine. Not just give it back and say it is ready and send you on your way.

I have used a guy in Salt Lick, KY before and had good sucess. He rebuilt an engine for me for about $2000.00 that had a thrown rod. At the time I traded it in, it was running really good.

If a mechanic can't explain why your engine was doing what it was doing then I would run like hell. That means he thinks he fixed your problem.

These are the three I have heard or have had good dealings with. I have had bad dealings with other, but these are the three that I would consider right now.

Post Thanks / Like

i have heard of Bill Mattingly before but never got a phone # on him... i think ill give him a call, and see what he can do for me. thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimDi View Post
    I had someone speak highly of that mechanic too. I have never used him, but he was recommended by a friend of mine.

Tony Reynolds in Shepherdsville is a good mechanic. I believe he is certified mechanic. He will take the time to explain what is wrong with the engine. Not just give it back and say it is ready and send you on your way.

I have used a guy in Salt Lick, KY before and had good sucess. He rebuilt an engine for me for about $2000.00 that had a thrown rod. At the time I traded it in, it was running really good.

If a mechanic can't explain why your engine was doing what it was doing then I would run like hell. That means he thinks he fixed your problem.

These are the three I have heard or have had good dealings with. I have had bad dealings with other, but these are the three that I would consider right now.

I have never used Tony Renoylds but have a couple freinds that have. He done a good a good job and I remember one of my friends making the comment that Renoylds Performance Marine is the only place he would take his boat/motor.

R19

Post Thanks / Like

In the louisville area B&J Marine is the local Yamaha Dealer and they do great work.

Post Thanks / Like

boat is fixed (atleast it runs fine now)
    it has me puzzled, but @ the same time worried

boat ran GREAT, then all the suden acts up.. i get carbs cleaned ect, and same problem... take back to shop and mechanic looks @ it and says
    "nothing is wrong w/ this boat" and basically curses me out cause i wanted him to take it out with me so i could show him what it was doing....

so i picked it up, and took it out, and never had a problem... even ended up towing a huge cabin cruiser over a mile to the ramp cause hit outdrive stripped out (propellar wasnt turning)

i dont know what to think

Post Thanks / Like

Bad Gas?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby709 View Post
    Bad Gas?
    im guessing/hoping thats all it was! FINGERS CROSSED!