Search Fishin.com

Thread: Fishing Line

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Line

What pound test line do you all use for you jig rods? I just read the line study and that was posted and it got me to think what everyone else uses. I usually use 17lb-20lb (regular fishing not flipping) but was wondering if I could get away with 15lb Fluorocarbon in the Pline.

I have always heard that you can't break the bone at the top of the fishes mouth; with a 4/0 hook unless you use 20lb test line. But after reading that I can't make up my mind on what to use. Smaller line diameters might mean more bites.

Thanks for any advice Ryan.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing Line

you can get away with 15 in open water, no problem. But im not sure if thats necessary with flurocarbon or not. Id say for all around jigging purposes, 20lb flurocarbon is the best option.

Post Thanks / Like

Line is important, but it cant beat a quality sharp hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zx150 View Post
    What pound test line do you all use for you jig rods? I just read the line study and that was posted and it got me to think what everyone else uses. I usually use 17lb-20lb (regular fishing not flipping) but was wondering if I could get away with 15lb Fluorocarbon in the Pline.

I have always heard that you can't break the bone at the top of the fishes mouth; with a 4/0 hook unless you use 20lb test line. But after reading that I can't make up my mind on what to use. Smaller line diameters might mean more bites.

Thanks for any advice Ryan.
    Ryan,
    I like 17-20# line for pitching and even flipping. My rods are 7ft and I don't have a problem with hooking or landing the fish. I always lose a few but it's no more than anyone else. Some days are better than others.
    I never used Pline but if it's as good as people say it might work. I'm not a fan of flouro myself. Good luck.