Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Problems with outboard.. can anyone help?

Guys, I hate to say it, but my ole 78 Cajun / 115 Evinrude has had its first problem.

I was at the river, running about 40 (4800 rpms or so of max 5100 or so)

and my engine died. I got backwashed, spent some time trying to start it. Finally, it would start but when I put it in gear, it died. I did notice a small piece of fishing line around my prop. It wasnt very long and it came right off, but I cant help but wonder if there is more in there. I will be taking the prop off to check.

When I got back to the dock, it shut off and would not start again. Then it stopped turning over altogether, like a dead battery would. WHen I pulled the boat out, I noticed my trim pad (with the rudder behind prop) was bent downwards. I dont know if I backed into something, I sure didnt feel it if I did and there was no prop damage.. weird. I am going to have someone look at it, but are there any ideas you might have?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problems with outboard.. can anyone help?

Did you get too hot? I've heard of motors just cutting off before you burn a hole in your piston. You're coil pack might be burnt too...if that's the case then that might be your ignition problem.

Just a thought.
    troutcrazy

Post Thanks / Like

I rebuilt my 1978 115 about 2 years ago from the ground up. New Rods, Crank ........ It's a pretty easy strait forward motor. Some neat things are that the 85 thru 140 use all the same pistons, rods, crank and bearings. The 77 and 78's are the same. In 1979 the changed to a different size rod journal.

Sounds like a fuel hose issue, When was the last time it was relaced ? Our bass club is seeing a lot of internal hose failures. I'm wondering if this is due to a new blend of gasoline eating into the rubber ? the hose looks fine but colapses from the inside.

There are overheating thermostats on the back of the motor. That will kill the ignition if it gets hot enough.

If you backed into something could you have sucked mud up the water intake ?

Just a few ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it was hot
    Last edited by crazyfishinnut; 08-04-2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: wrong post

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like it might be locked up same problems when a piston siezes up

Post Thanks / Like

were going to check it out real good tonight. Yes, I could have possibly sucked mud up the water intake (river) but my water stream never stopped or looked affected (i watched it close). My fuel hose has been giving me some problems, I replaced it 2 years ago and put an inline filter on it. But its had a few leak problems around the filter that I shortened and fixed on the river the same day.

Post Thanks / Like

Take the plugs out and see if it will crank over. When it cranks over you can check for spark at the plug wires. my guess would be a fuel line or fuel pump is bad. I'll be happy to look at it if you're around Taylorsville Lake sometime.