Search Fishin.com

Thread: First Deer!

Post Thanks / Like

First Deer!

That is with a truck. Hit a slick head on the way home from the IRL race the other night. I hope to never hit another, they sure can mess up the front of a truck.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Deer!

Oh man! Everyone ok? Did he come up into the windshield?

Post Thanks / Like

Took out a big buck one time in my Chevy S-10...Let's just say I still think the deer got the better of the deal.... He was hit on the left front of the truck crossing from left to right...As I hit him, his back end spun around and hit my driver's side door, knocking me clean over to the passenger side of the truck. Lucky enough I had my seat belt on and didn't lose control of my truck. The deer was way over 240 lbs. easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Clyde,
    Did that deer leave a pooh trail down the side! My buddy owns a body shop and I have seen several vehicles with that trail down the side because most of the time the deer gets the pooh knocked out of him.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Oldham county if you live here it's not if you are going to hit one it's when. I've plastered two so far with my Truck over the years and barely missed, .....well I've lost count, lol. They will flat crunch some metal big time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    I live in Oldham county if you live here it's not if you are going to hit one it's when. I've plastered two so far with my Truck over the years and barely missed, .....well I've lost count, lol. They will flat crunch some metal big time.
    Im in Crestwood and I can attest to that! I try to avoid I-71 at dusk in October! Deer are running everywhere! Too bad we only have a measly 2 weeks to hunt with a rifle in the state.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Clyde,
    Did that deer leave a pooh trail down the side! My buddy owns a body shop and I have seen several vehicles with that trail down the side because most of the time the deer gets the pooh knocked out of him.
    No it busted out I guess when I hit it, cause there was plenty in the road....

Post Thanks / Like

Just the other night I went out scouting for wildlife and saw one doe sticking her head out of the bushes along side the road I was on. I slowed down and she ran back into the field.

About ten years ago I was going around the New Albany IN bypass on my way up to Indy and had 6 or 7 deer cross the road in front of me. I was in a company car ( Small Ford SUV) and I hit the last deer in the heard in it's back end. The deer went into the ditch on my passenger side. I stopped and got out to see where it went and saw it down in the ditch. It may have had a broken back leg as it could not get up. I was late and could not stay there or do anything to help the young deer so I got back in the vehicle and went onto work. I suspect that he feed the local coyotes that week. I was lucky in that he hit my bumper and I was not going very fast. So there was min damage to the bumper. But I will always remember that night. These deer look like ghost at dusk. Even with the headlights shining on them their gray/red hair does not reflect a lot of light back into our eyes and they are very hard to see.

If you see one deer cross you can bet your boots that there are more going to cross and follow her. Usually the does and young one cross together. They don't like to be left behind. So they will blindly follow the mother deer. The mother deer may make it though the traffic and get across the road but those that follow here will not see your vehicle. They are looking at their mother and not the oncoming traffic.