Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching Your Line?

Seems like every article I've read lately about jigs or worm fishing has mentioned watching your line. I'll be the first to admit that I don't do this very much. I'll cast out a jig, t-rig, c-rig, etc and work it slow but usually I'm watching boats go by and just looking around. How often do you guys see a line twitch without feeling the least little tap? I'm going to start making it a point to watch but wanted to know what some of you think and have seen...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Watching Your Line?

Once in awhile I see the line jump but what I see more is the line moving to the side or it stopping when I know it shouldn't have.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of my fishing is at night and I'll have to say that I've had several bites where my line just swims off or doesn't sink to the bottom when I know the bait should still be falling and it is a bite that I don't feel. Happens fairly often for me. Going after them for two nights this weekend on Watts Barr. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I see the line swim off more often than I see it jump as well. But, I do see it jump more than you think it would happen. It makes me think of how many strikes you miss and don't even know.

Post Thanks / Like

if you aren't watching your line you are missing a lot of fish..the line "jump" usually happens when you are shallow,deep there is enough water drag on the line it don't happen as much..lot of times as said you'll see it swim away,or you'll notice it will get slack faster than on the normal as it fall.

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree if I dont feel the bump tap tap, its the line swimming away that I see alot of.

Post Thanks / Like

I always watch my line and have a LIGHT hold on the rod to detect bumps. I also use florescent blue line so I can see it. When the only water I fish registers mud on a color selector I feel as though it doesn't matter.

Post Thanks / Like

U would if you fished Dale Hollow. MANY times we'll catch them picking it up on the way down. Pay attention to how long it takes for it to hit the bottom. Remember BIG fish are all by themselves and don't have to fight off a crowd to take your bait. They can just slowly move up to it and **** it in.
    Hope this helps,
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I'll tell you this ... if I don't watch my line, when I'm casting or dock shooting jigs for Crappie (which is what I most often do), then I'm probably gonna come home pretty much empty handed, a majority of the time.
    When Bass fishing with plastics (ie "worm fishing"), day or night, I still watch the line, because I've seen too many times when I've looked away or got distracted ... and start to move the bait, only to have the fish swimming off with it or drop it. You can't always depend on "feeling" the bite, but if you can see your line, you'll rarely miss seeing even a light hit. That holds especially true when fishing with blacklights. I've fished three out of a boat, worm fishing at night under blacklights, sitting in the front of the boat ... and still saw hits on the other two lines, outta the corner of my eye !!
    If there's anyway I can accomplish it, I prefer to "see" a hit, as opposed to feeling one ... for the simple reason of lessening the possibility of the fish feeling the rod resistance. That goes for both species of fish, Crappie or Bass ... as they'll both blow a bait in a heartbeat, if they feel much resistance ... especially if they're spooky, heavily pressured, or if they're not really hungry (but, just can't resist the temptation).

You go playing "feely mouth" with a Bass (waiting for the tap, tap ... then lifting the rod tip to see if he's still there) ... you're gonna miss alot of fish. But, laying a hookset on one, a half second after you see the line move/jump or go slack a little sooner than it should ... you're going to have a very surprised fish on the end of your line ... LOL !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    You go playing "feely mouth" with a Bass (waiting for the tap, tap ... then lifting the rod tip to see if he's still there) ... you're gonna miss alot of fish. ... cp
    Reading these responses makes me wonder how many fish I've lost. I've seen the line take off in one direction before and set the hook without really feeling the bite I guess. But I haven't as a rule just kept an eye on the line looking for any small movements, until now that is. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If the line looks or feels different than normal, reel up and set the hook. Hook sets are still free.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think the hardest bite to detect is when the fish picks up the jig and moves towards me. Side to side or moving away is easy to feel and see but when she puts slack in the line is the hardest. I have been using Flourocarbon on EVERYTHING except topwater and know I have caught more fish because of it but I am giving up the ability to "see" the line under the blacklight at night. I guess it will have to wait until next year to see if I can find a Flourescent Flourocarbon that I trust to use at night. Until then, I will use Flourocarbon to help me in any way possible. The only time I INTENTIONALLY don't watch my line is when I am throwing topwater. I will look around and take in the sights because I just don't have the will power or whatever it is to not jerk until I feel the strike. At least there is that split second after I hear the bust that I put my attention to the general area that my bait should be in to see if it was my bait that got smoked. By this time, I either feel the fish or enough time has passed that it is ok to set the hook. Too many times have I had fish follow my topwater at Dale Hollow in the morning and with the crystal clear water, way too hard to not set the hook too soon.