Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland trout fishing

I will be coming down to cumberland trout fishing in September.Where is a good place to stay for fishing below Wolf Creek Dam? Is it better to stay at motel near Burkesville or near the hatchery? I will be fishing out of a boat and was wondering where the best place to put in would be. Are they catching fish better down river or near the dam? Are there any walleye or strippers being caught? What are fish biting on?
    Danke'

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Cumberland trout fishing

Fishing lately seems to be better near the dam than down-river. The place to stay is at Lake Cumb. State Park. You can put in at the dam if they are pushing enough water through the dam. There are a few walleye being caught, but only the guys from Lou. and Lex. that hang out in seedy dives are having much luck with strippers.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cumberland trout fishing

Below the dam is the place to fish, the water around burksville is very warm, and shallow, plus its dingy at best. No matter where you fish, boating will be difficult, if you have hip boots or waders, bring them they are great for putting the boat on the trailer below the dam, and pushing over sand bars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Below the dam is the place to fish, the water around burksville is very warm, and shallow, plus its dingy at best. No matter where you fish, boating will be difficult, if you have hip boots or waders, bring them they are great for putting the boat on the trailer below the dam, and pushing over sand bars.
    Larry I look at the release charts and shows going from 542cfs to 2020cfs for 12 hours a day. river level has been at 542low and 544.95 when releasing.
    Is this still low warm water at Burkesville? I normally run upstream past Crocus to near Rock House is it to low for that now?

Thank's Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PRO V LE View Post
    Larry I look at the release charts and shows going from 542cfs to 2020cfs for 12 hours a day. river level has been at 542low and 544.95 when releasing.
    Is this still low warm water at Burkesville? I normally run upstream past Crocus to near Rock House is it to low for that now?

Thank's Dave.
    I talked with a few older fishermen down around Rockhouse and they say that there is plenty of water to naviagate by mid-morning. Be careful, but I think you can make it through the gateway rocks without any trouble. He did say they had one gravel bar that they walked their boat thru just prior to Rainbow run (Ray's chute). You could put in at Winfrey's...lots closer and still good fishing there.