Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Floyds Fork (Louisville)

Whats up guys? Been doing a little creek fishing lately in my same old spots, but it seems like from what little I do find to read about Floyds Fork that others have a lot better luck than I usually do.

Just wondering what are some others best access points and what are you throwing at them?

I've also taken up fly fishing and have been throwing some flys lately, anyone else fly fishing on Floyds Fork?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Floyds Fork (Louisville)

Quote Originally Posted by CumberlandRiverTroutin View Post
    Whats up guys? Been doing a little creek fishing lately in my same old spots, but it seems like from what little I do find to read about Floyds Fork that others have a lot better luck than I usually do.

Just wondering what are some others best access points and what are you throwing at them?

I've also taken up fly fishing and have been throwing some flys lately, anyone else fly fishing on Floyds Fork?
    Forget Floyds Fork and drive to Spencer County to fish Brashears Creek. More fish. Bigger fish. Better access.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to fish the fork allot years ago in the Bullitt Co. area and new a few farmers at the time that didn't mind me fishing there bottoms, but now it's hard to say. I know the KOA off 44 out of Shepherdsville still lets you go down there for a few bucks and you get to fish where it dumps into the salt river.I'm sure there's a few guy's on this site that might know of other access areas. As far as bait goes I used allot of beetle spins,countdown rapalas, rooster tails, and jigs. As far as live bait I used crawdads (soft shell) preferably, minnows, horse-weed worms, catalpas, and greenworms, or riverworms I dug right there....they are the best, beats nightcrawlers hands down. Never really fly fished it due to the tree canape but I'm sure someone with more fly fishing ability than me would have no problems. Hope this helps...Good luck Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BCWader View Post
    Forget Floyds Fork and drive to Spencer County to fish Brashears Creek. More fish. Bigger fish. Better access.

Never heard anything about it.

Where is a good access point?

Lures/Flies?

Best water levels?

Post Thanks / Like

The only access points I've ever utilized are Aiken Rd., Miles Park/Shelbyville Rd. and of course Floyds Fork Park off Taylorsville Rd.

Anyone know any other than those?

I've seen a good spot off Taylorsville Rd toward Fisherville, but I can't figure out how to get to it when I'm driving by.

Post Thanks / Like

Man I have seen lots of really nice looking fishy spots I'd love to stop and wet a line...But the Farmers won't let people get on their property to fish due to Insurance reasons. Also because of the problems that others that they let fish, trashed their land and didn't obey the rules.

Folks if the Farmers give you permission to fish, it means to treat the place with respect and take your garbage if you have any, close all gates if you open them and by all means....It isn't a Open Card Party to bring every friend you have back to the fishing hole without permission from the farmer/owner.....If everyone who gets permission would try and abide by the rules, then more people might get the chance to fish these nice looking areas......

Post Thanks / Like

Hey BCWader where are the best spots to access Brashears Creek. Is it wadeable or easily fished from the bank. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Ive had pretty good luck on floyds fork at bardstown road bridge ( kinda steep down to the the creek ) tiny watermelon brush hogs size 1 or 2 wide gap hook and a 1/16 or 1/32 worm weight ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieKing79 View Post
    Hey BCWader where are the best spots to access Brashears Creek. Is it wadeable or easily fished from the bank. Thanks
    Just google it and you should find some info. I found a few spots googling. My primo spot I won't tell because I have permission from the land owner. He's nice enough to let me park on his property and also told me about some nearby spots that he told me is fine to go to that if someone asks who I was, to tell them he said it was fine and they wouldn't give me any problems. If you have a canoe or float tube you shouldn't have any problems as the water itself is not privately owned but the bottom is I've been doin' really well with small pumpkinseed tubes rigged on a 1/0 ewg and small bullet weight. Nothing monstrous, but I'll take 12-14 inch smallies on the creek all day long.

Post Thanks / Like

BCWader - I PM'd you.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys do any good in the wide, deep flats? I can usually find smallies in the riffles or in the transition areas above and below...but there's sometimes a lot of space between one riffle area and the next. About the only thing I've ever caught in the slow water are Kentucky bass.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Floyds Fork (Louisville)

I generally catch saugar, pumkinseed sunfish, google eye, Ky Bass and LM Bass in the water furthest away from the riffles...So my time in the streams is quite productive no matter where I fish. Good Luck to all who fish the creeks and streams...nutting like a smallie pullin on 4 lb line and takin out drag on an ultra lite.......