Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Please observe and follow the rules

When the sign at the top of the boat ramp say "Idle Only" it mean that you have to idle while underway. It doesn't matter what size of motor you have, 5hp or 250hp, it's all the same. If anyone that ignored the rule, you know who you are, STOP IT! or know someone who ignored the rule, PLEASE PASS ON THE WORD. The reason that Summit lake is such a paradise for fisherman is that there are no pleasure boaters because IT'S AN IDLE ONLY LAKE. The DNR might make it electric only or patrol the heck out of it if this behavior keep up. Don't ruin it for everyone. I was out there this past weekend and it was ridiculous. 9 out of 10 of these jon boats and deep v aluminums with small motor were totally ignored the rule, running at half throttle to wide open all over the place. There were bigger motor boats on the lake too but they were all idling. Now, you might think that I'm making a stereotypical judgement against small boats but I'm not. I am on this lake a lot and have seen it too many times over the years and it's getting progressively worst. Just because you have a 10hp motor doesn't mean you don't have to follow the rules. Rant over, Sorry!
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please observe and follow the rules

We have a similar situation at Blue Grass Fish & Wild Area's three main lakes. Bluegrass Pit, Loon Pit and Otter Pit were all electric motor only when BG first opened up. But last year the Manager allowed gas motors at Idle Speed ONLY on these three larger pits.

Most folks abide by the IDLE SPEED ONLY rule. Once in a while I see some going about 4 to 5 mph which is slightly faster than my boat at idle speed.

But for the most part everyone has been following the rules. Believe me if I see someone out their water skiing and breaking the rules I'll have my cam corder out and record the violation and turn them in. All it takes is for a few to ruin the lake for everyone else, and I won't let that happen if I can do something to prevent it.

I'd rather see the one or two violators get banned from the area than to have everyone punished by the property manager changing the rules back to electric motor only.

I can't get my boat back onto the trailer easily without using the gas motor so I would take it personal if someone went water skiing and got the rules changed. So you water skiers are all for-warned.

Actually my neighbor went to Bluegrass Pit one time and they took their jet ski too. But when they arrived in the parking lot at Bluegrass Pit they saw the signs and I heard them talking about going to the Ohio River.

PS: I want to fish Hovey Lake for those big crappie someday. Right now the lake is too big for my boat's when I can only use the electric trolling motor. So I am hoping that the IDNR property manager at Hovey's lake will see that Bluegrass Fish and Wildlife's Property Manager was OK in letting Gas motors to be used at Idle Speed Only. So I am hoping that some day they will allow us to use our larger bass boats at Hoveys if we keep them at idle speed only. That's my wish! Please don't mess it up guys and gals.

Like I said the vast majority have been abiding by the rules. That's shows me that most fisherman are good honest people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    When the sign at the top of the boat ramp say "Idle Only" it mean that you have to idle while underway. It doesn't matter what size of motor you have, 5hp or 250hp, it's all the same. If anyone that ignored the rule, you know who you are, STOP IT! or know someone who ignored the rule, PLEASE PASS ON THE WORD. The reason that Summit lake is such a paradise for fisherman is that there are no pleasure boaters because IT'S AN IDLE ONLY LAKE. The DNR might make it electric only or patrol the heck out of it if this behavior keep up. Don't ruin it for everyone. I was out there this past weekend and it was ridiculous. 9 out of 10 of these Jon boats and deep v aluminums with small motor were totally ignored the rule, running at half throttle to wide open all over the place. There were bigger motor boats on the lake too but they were all idling. Now, you might think that I'm making a stereotypical judgment against small boats but I'm not. I am on this lake a lot and have seen it too many times over the years and it's getting progressively worst. Just because you have a 10hp motor doesn't mean you don't have to follow the rules. Rant over, Sorry!

Post Thanks / Like

Ill be honest, ive probably gone 4 or 5mph over idle speed before. Like moose i fish the bluegrass pits often. I wouldn't ever rip it open or anything, i just haaaate going so slow, but your right its a blessing in disguise and im going to try harder to abide by those rules

Post Thanks / Like

yea i fish bluegrass often as well. it's just so dang long and takes a while on idle even with my 250hp. but u can always use the trolling motor and just troll lures behind you i catch some big ones doin that

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Summit 2 or 3 times a week. I don't think I have ever seen a boat go pure idle speed. You can sit and listen to every small boat and bass boat, up the speed as they leave the ramp.

Back in the summer of 2006, the Henry County police got a permit from the DNR (plus used 2 of the DNR patrol boats) to take kids a ride on the lake. The County police were driving the boats at full speed (around 45 mph). They were running as close to 25' from the shore line.
    They were also running in the no boat area at the dam.
    I used my cell phone and called the park office to report them for their dangerous boat driving, as the 40 or so boats out fishing, could hardly anchor and no way could you even stand up in your boat.
    The office lady told me she could do nothing about it as they had a permit, but she didn't like it either and she also thought it was wrong.
    I heard this is an annual event. When i questioned the police driving the boats, they told me to leave or I would have a quick trip to the Henry County Jail.

You wanna see some fast boating on the lake, check out the Wednesday night bass tourney. Once it gets dark, a couple guys get on plane. Most of the Wednesday night bass guys follow the rules but, I see the same 4 boats getting on plane every time.

I think the CO should spend a couple weeks on the water, and bust anyone breaking the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bestshot View Post
    I think the CO should spend a couple weeks on the water, and bust anyone breaking the rules.

Amen!