Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ohio River catfish Sun night

Drifted cutbait in 20-25' deep flats near main channel. Caught 11 cats, including a 43# blue, my personal best. Fog rolled in after dark and it was COLD!!! Look forward to going again real soon...just gotta catch some more skippies.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ohio River catfish Sun night

congtats on catchin your biggest blue there a lot of fun

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Ohio River catfish Sun night

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherjoe View Post
    Drifted cutbait in 20-25' deep flats near main channel. Caught 11 cats, including a 43# blue, my personal best. Fog rolled in after dark and it was COLD!!! Look forward to going again real soon...just gotta catch some more skippies.

Joe

congtats 43# blue that's GREAT eH

Post Thanks / Like

43#s,Thats a biggen,Congrats.And 11 in a night aint to shabby either.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all! It was a blast to finally catch a big'un. Had a friend catch a 50#'er a couple years ago out of my boat and that was fun as well. Plan to go again this weekend. I have enough skippies for two more trips and then I'm hurtin'. Gonna have to spend a day or so just trying to catch bait. Been kinda tough with the water as low as it's been.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Might try down at the Williams Dam. I went down there 8/31 and Skipjacks and carp were the only thing I caught. The water is REALLY low there, too! But it was still worth the trip. Brought home two bags of Skipjacks and the only baitshop around Indy that I know of that sells them wants $9 a piece for them!!

Post Thanks / Like

i've been fishin the river lately with skips but haven't had any luck. i am using frozen skips though. anyone think thats a problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, are you fishing the Mcalpine area? If so what ramp did you use? Good catch. Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

These last few trips I have been in the Brandenburg area, using the B-burg ramp. I am going both upstream and downstream. Generally targeting the flats on the outside bends nearest the channel.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherjoe View Post
    These last few trips I have been in the Brandenburg area, using the B-burg ramp. I am going both upstream and downstream. Generally targeting the flats on the outside bends nearest the channel.

Joe
    Thank you sir, Have you had any problem getting bait?

Post Thanks / Like

I have just recently gotten interested in big cats on the Ohio. 2 questions... The first question has to do with different baits. I have been using live and dead bluegill. Not much luck and the only luck I have is by using the smaller bluegill? Are Skipjack a neccesity or is there another option? The second question is about hook-ups. We had 7 fish take off with out baits (dead and alive) leaving the clicker screaming but when we picked up there was no fish on the line. Is a clicker just not a good idea on the river when fishing for cats? or is there something else that is not right? thanks for ANY advice and comments!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by btfish09 View Post
    I have just recently gotten interested in big cats on the Ohio. 2 questions... The first question has to do with different baits. I have been using live and dead bluegill. Not much luck and the only luck I have is by using the smaller bluegill? Are Skipjack a neccesity or is there another option? The second question is about hook-ups. We had 7 fish take off with out baits (dead and alive) leaving the clicker screaming but when we picked up there was no fish on the line. Is a clicker just not a good idea on the river when fishing for cats? or is there something else that is not right? thanks for ANY advice and comments!
    I personally use bluegill around structure for flathead. Skipjack are great but sometimes hard to come by, gizzard and threadfin shad are # 2 on the list but usually a little easier to catch. clickers are fine but just remember if using a big piece of bait let them run with it for a while before you set the hook. It sound like you guy's found a mess of gar which will do exactly what you said was happening.....Move. Where about are you guy's fishing ,deep holes or near a dam? Lots a good guy's on this site, Hope this helps. Welcome aboard. Chuck