Click image for larger version. 

Name:	367.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	14371

Post Thanks / Like

How they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    I have picked up on the custom painted crank bait craze and I have some interest. How are these guys doing this? I know they use air brushes but what all is involved to make this happen? Do you need to buy special paint, lots of colors? How would you seal such a paint job? This might be something fun to tinker with in the winter months.

kc
    There is a facebook page that shows step by step instructions on how to paint crankbaits https://www.facebook.com/groups/1281784588575840/

Post Thanks / Like

painting crankbaits

Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    I have picked up on the custom painted crank bait craze and I have some interest. How are these guys doing this? I know they use air brushes but what all is involved to make this happen? Do you need to buy special paint, lots of colors? How would you seal such a paint job? This might be something fun to tinker with in the winter months.

kc
    If not allowed please delete. A friend of mine and i have a Facebook group the helps people learn how to paint crank baits. All the crank baits posted have the recipes and how to paint them. These are painters from all over the world. People are helpful and answer all the questions you may have. It is a learning page and no selling is allowed.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1281784588575840/

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been custom painting baits for a few months (still very new at it) and I've been getting my supplies at Jann's Netcraft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nrgeek View Post
    You can buy a fairly good air brush at Harbor Freight for less than 16 bucks, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95810 if you catch a sale on them you can get it for about 10
    I have Pasche and Iwata air brushes that cost 200-300 and this lil cheap brush does great for repainting baits!
    You can use canned air, or a small compressor can get a new compressor for under 100 and can get used ones for under 30. Just make sure you get a water separator/ fliter.

As far as paints you can use about any kind of paint you want, airbrush specific paints water based work great . I use createx , mainly because Hobby Lobby carries them in stock and they are easier to spray than non air brush paints, I also use House of Kolor this site has any paint or air brush stuff you could want and some of the best prices on higher end stuff http://www.bearair.com/

Top coats I use epoxy clear on all my baits, you can use Devcon 2 ton, works great, with all clear coats you need a way to turn them end over end until dry or will run to one end , and thats not good.

I made a lure drying machine out of an electric rotessiere for a grill you can get those at Lowes , Walmart etc for about $20

Picture is an example of the first one I made, I used aligator clips to hold lures on .
    And one of my baits I made, I do repaints too, but I make most of my own baits these days

Thanks for the info! This is something I really think I'd like doing and this is helpful to get started!