Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

custom painted crank baits

I have picked up on the custom painted crank bait craze and I have some interest. How are these guys doing this? I know they use air brushes but what all is involved to make this happen? Do you need to buy special paint, lots of colors? How would you seal such a paint job? This might be something fun to tinker with in the winter months.

kc
    Likes FishingStone liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: custom painted crank baits

Most do this with an airbrush. Dual action brush is what you want. I use an Iwata BPS eclipse. There are various paints to use. Createx is one that gets a lot of use. Various epoxies and other products to clear coat the plug with once done.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Is it very hard to do? I paint jig heads and spinner baits with simple colors and epoxy paints but how does this air brush painting compare in terms of paint use? Where are good sources for paint supplies? I buy most of my lure making supplies from Barlow's, Jann's, or Cabelas.

I appreciate your input. I think I may start tinkering with this winter.

kc

Post Thanks / Like

Check your local Michaels craft store or Hobby Lobby. Both will have some airbrush stuff, mostly paints. Online, Dixie Art and Bear Air both have everything you will need. Like anything else, it takes a little practice.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: custom painted crank baits

Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    Check your local Michaels craft store or Hobby Lobby. Both will have some airbrush stuff, mostly paints. Online, Dixie Art and Bear Air both have everything you will need. Like anything else, it takes a little practice.

Andrew
    What is the best "kind" of paint in other words acrylics. laquer, enamel???? I've been airbrushing for years but I too want to try painting some lures. Also what about gelcoats? I know some crankbaits are "gelcoated"? one more thing I would like to try some pearl colors is there an additive or something?

Signed ....... dazed and confused

Post Thanks / Like

"Best" really depends on what you use for primer and a clear coat. Its pretty much a system that works together. If there are no adhesion issues, you'll have a longer lasting finish. That being said, I know a lot of painters are using Createx paints (water based). Check the Bear Air and Dixie Art sites for this stuff. Regular colors, florecents, pearl colors, etc. I know others who use taxidermy paints. Quick and easy paint jobs can be done with spray cans. Rustoleum and Krylon are two favorites. Pick one brand and stick with it to avoid compatibility issues.

"Gelcoats", there are a number of products that can be used as a final clear coat over the paint. Easiest to use/obtain is Devcon 2 ton 30 minute epoxy (paint area at Walmart, make sure its the 30 minute). Mix some up and then apply with an acid brush. Hang the plug by the nose, flip and hang by the tail after 10 minutes, fish the next day. Plenty of other epoxies, urethanes, polyurethanes, etc out there that will also work. Probably have to try a few things to see what works best for you.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Well the spray cans are enamel so would a guy be able to use... say model paint? I know they make some camo kits that the colors would be a good start. I think and enamel would be ok as long as you clearcoat it well.

Post Thanks / Like

I know guys who use testors model paints on plastic plugs and it works out fine.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy a fairly good air brush at Harbor Freight for less than 16 bucks, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95810 if you catch a sale on them you can get it for about 10
    I have Pasche and Iwata air brushes that cost 200-300 and this lil cheap brush does great for repainting baits!
    You can use canned air, or a small compressor can get a new compressor for under 100 and can get used ones for under 30. Just make sure you get a water separator/ fliter.

As far as paints you can use about any kind of paint you want, airbrush specific paints water based work great . I use createx , mainly because Hobby Lobby carries them in stock and they are easier to spray than non air brush paints, I also use House of Kolor this site has any paint or air brush stuff you could want and some of the best prices on higher end stuff http://www.bearair.com/

Top coats I use epoxy clear on all my baits, you can use Devcon 2 ton, works great, with all clear coats you need a way to turn them end over end until dry or will run to one end , and thats not good.

I made a lure drying machine out of an electric rotessiere for a grill you can get those at Lowes , Walmart etc for about $20

Picture is an example of the first one I made, I used aligator clips to hold lures on .
    And one of my baits I made, I do repaints too, but I make most of my own baits these days
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lure drying rack2.jpg 
Views:	4555 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	1012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new lures 012506 002a.jpg 
Views:	2730 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	1013  

Post Thanks / Like

Guys go over to bassboatcentral.com and go dow to the lure making and rod building forum and you'll get every answer you can possibly ask. There's some true artist's painting cranks.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    I have picked up on the custom painted crank bait craze and I have some interest. How are these guys doing this? I know they use air brushes but what all is involved to make this happen? Do you need to buy special paint, lots of colors? How would you seal such a paint job? This might be something fun to tinker with in the winter months.

kc
    Check out tackle underground for all the info. you could want.

Post Thanks / Like

Painting crankbaits

I am always trying something new with crankbaits. I have painted some with shrink wrap, bread, easy off oven cleaner and so on. I make my own vacuum form stencils and I cut stencils on a Cricut machine. Its just plain fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	068.jpg 
Views:	1175 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	14370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	347.jpg 
Views:	1509 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	14372