Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Vertical Structure??

In another post, a contributor siad that he had been catching bass on VERTICAL STRUCTURE up river in Nolin. The poster didn't elaborate so I am confused about where to fish. (I asked him in the post and tried to emai him but haven't got an answer) I don't understand the term VERTICAL STRUCTURE and wanted to get opinions on just what it means to other people to fish VERTICAL STRUCTURE.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vertical Structure??

Everyone has different descriptions for structure and cover vertical or not. The only true vertical structure I could think of is standing timber which is probably what he is talking about. You can make that little deal work at Nolin most of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzzking View Post
    Everyone has different descriptions for structure and cover vertical or not. The only true vertical structure I could think of is standing timber which is probably what he is talking about. You can make that little deal work at Nolin most of the year.
    I have always referred to standing timber as vertical structure, I thought that was old hat. I had a standing tree at Cumberland, vertical structure, that held fish and I would have it as back up to go catch something on a almost everytime thing. When the water lowered to around 678 some mental giant went and cut it down and it was near the shore too. Guess what, that spot is ruint now, rendered basically useless. A big thanks to whom ever did that, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I view vertical structure as standing timber, bridge pilings, and dock posts.

Post Thanks / Like

I also include bluff walls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra190 View Post
    I view vertical structure as standing timber, bridge pilings, and dock posts.
    Hey a couple I didn't think of, but for sure vertical structure.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry just got back on the internet, i was referring to standing timber, and bluff walls. They seem to be suspending around 12'.

Post Thanks / Like

wishingiwasfishin: no apology necessary, I just got in a hurry to get the information. I keep forgetting that everyone is not retired and can't check this thing ten times a day. Thanks for your answer and thanks to all the others who repied, I appreciate it. If the weather is good, I may go up nolin river and try it myself..

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

vertical structure, i define structure as the lay of the land, example: ledges, flats, creeks, road beds.... when the verticle aspect is thrown in, i consider it to be a rock wall or concrete slab, possibly even a steep ledge

cover, i consider cover to be trees, brush piles, stake beds, even docks (pretty well anything that can produce shade at high noon)....

my ideas are different than what has already been posted as far as definition, but as far as opinion, when a lot of guys say verticle structure, they are referring to standing timber.... i by no means am claiming my defintions to be right, but it is important to have a clear understanding with your fishing buddy when you are sharing spots, there is alot of difference in a vertical rock wall and a piece of standing timber, both can be very productive during the hot summer months, but must be fished in totally different ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    wishingiwasfishin: no apology necessary, I just got in a hurry to get the information. I keep forgetting that everyone is not retired and can't check this thing ten times a day. Thanks for your answer and thanks to all the others who repied, I appreciate it. If the weather is good, I may go up nolin river and try it myself..

Grumpy
    I am not retired but still check this site 10 times a day. I need all the info I can get on the fishing in the area. Maybe 6 more years and I can think retirement. HA!