Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Fishing Beginner's Rods

I have a young(er) friend that has been asking me about Bass Fishing. He has a couple of ligher Spinning Rods and Reels and has mostly been Crappie fishing in the past. I took him to Nolin last week in my boat and, even though the "catching" was slow, he said he enjoyed it. I was talking to him last night and he asked for recommendations for a couple of Baitasting rods with the "long handles" liike I have. I emailed him some information about using Baitcasters and I am going to loan him a couple of mine to practice with and get used to.

He said if he can get used to Baitcasters he wanted to buy a couple to use when he goes with me. We will see how he likes the ones I loan him and I have some ideas for "general purpose" baitcasters, but I was wondering what other people may suggest as to types of rod and reel not necessarily specific brands, i.e. 6'6" Medium Action Rod with a 5:1 Baitcaster (but specific brands and models recommendations are welcome if you prefer.) He does want to get "good stuff but not real expensive stuff" (his words).

Help me out on this folds, and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bass Fishing Beginner's Rods

Fenwick makes some really good rods for the price I am not talking about there high end models. I would suggest a 6' medium heavy rod with a baitcaster that he feels confortable holding in his hand. Even though I don't use Shimano they make some decent lower end reels. I prefer Quantum or Pflugger reels. But what ever he feels confortable with should be fine. It really is a confidince thing. Seems like my confidince is expensive though

Post Thanks / Like

Lighting rod from Berkley, thats what I started with 25 years ago. Very affordable, very sensitive, and many actions.
    Stoner

New Washington, Indiana, The good ole U.S.A..
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with stoner on the lightening rod. It is also what I started with. My how things have changed since then. As far as reels, I only own Currado's, I like them better than any other, but they are more to the expensive side, especially for a beginner.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

SORRY...you were asking about rods, and somehow that didn't go throught the brain filter correctly. I have a St. Croix Premier casting rod that I've been impressed with. ****'s in Louisville sells them for $100. They have an import model that's around $60, but I don't have any experience with that one. Wal-Mart has a lot of their fishing stuff on clearance right now to make room for hunting gear. Don't know if that extends to rods, but might be worth a shot. At my local store they sell the Berkley Lightning Rod that others have mentioned.

I'm impressed with the smoothness of some of the lower priced ($50 and under) Shimano spinning reels. If the same holds true with their baitcasters, then that might be something to consider.

I used to have one of the lower-tier Garcia low profile reels that they sell at Wal-Mart -- Silver Max or something like that. I ultimately gave it to my brother-in-law, but I thought it was a decent little reel for the money. It has the same general feel of the Revo, only lacking some of the refinement of its big brother.

One of the fishing mags had a review of fishing reels under $100 a few months back. I believe two of their top picks for baitcasters were Daiwas -- the Exceller and the Megaforce.
    Last edited by wcmatn01; 09-09-2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: misread the original post

Post Thanks / Like

Since it's early in his addiction, I would suggest he keep an eye out at his local retail stores for clearance gear. Start off with some medium price range gear at a low cost, that will serve the purpose, such as the Berkley rods that I still am a fan of and still use a few, and maybe a Shimano in the 60-80.00 dollar range, and as the addiction either takes over or subsides, Move on up from there. But I would stay away from the low end stuff. They are sometimes heavier and more awkward and turn him against a long day of casting.

Post Thanks / Like

Bionic Blade from BPS good cheap rods

Post Thanks / Like

6.3:1/ Centrifugal Brake Reel 10-12lb mono (Pfleuger Trion good 50/60$ range) 6'6"-7' med-hvy rod (St. Croix has good rods at a great price ) would be a good starting point to me but thats just an opinion...

Post Thanks / Like

over the winter i purchased a pflueger combo for my girlfriend, over the summer i caught my self using it more than my kistlers and loomis, not as light or sensitive, but definitely a fine combo, it was $100 at gander, 6.3:1 reel and 6'6' MH rod, not sure on the model but still a good rod for cranking, texas rigging, and top water... it was not a jigging or c-rig rod, but by far the best value i have ever ran accross, it pulled a lot of 16+ft. running crank baits and it is still as smooth as my citicas, just a little heavier

moral of the story, find a dependable company and wait for a deal at a local retailer, just get the size and action right, and make sure it is comfortable

Post Thanks / Like

I would tell him to look on E-*** you can find some great deals. I got a couple of Team All-Star rods that cost over $100.00 for $45-$50 bucks with shipping, though it takes 7-8 working days to get them. You can find all kinds of reels for half the price. I think it's worth taking a look at.

Post Thanks / Like

If he holds out till spring, BPS has some good deals. Spring fever sale usually has a combo for around 100.00 that would usually be around 169.00. Last year there Extreme rods were 50 bucks I think. I have had good luck out of there extreme, Pro Qualifier, and dads favorite the Viper. The Pro Qualifier screams a little on a cast but reels in smooth. Can get some good deals a boat/fishing shows in the spring also.

Post Thanks / Like

Grump,

I will give him what ever baitcaster's he wants out of my box of baitcasters that Bass Pro donates to Fishing For Kids. You or him can contact me about either meeting somewere or coming over and I really fix him up.

Just let me know
    Eddie

egoode@fishingforkids.net