Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tournament fishing/BFL

I've been fishing quite a bit the last few years with pretty good success, and almost exclusively for fun. I've dabbled in a couple of smaller tournaments...did ok, but really enjoyed the thrill of catching some while competing. So now I'm wanting to step up and try the bfl or a similar circuit in Kentucky next year. I only have a little tournament experience so I'm thinking of trying the co-angler route my first year. I read the rules from the flw web site and there are some things that weren't clear.

1. How are you paired with your boater at the events? I see a lot of people looking for co-anglers or boaters for the entire season. Do you fish with the same person every event or is it a draw for the tournament?

2. How is it being a co-angler? I've never really been on the co-angler side so I am just curious what it is/was like for any of you that tried.

If anyone has any experience as a co-angler or anything I should know about the bfl I would love to hear about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Tournament fishing/BFL

this was my first yeat fishing the bfl mountain division as a co-angler and i have loved it!!! i already knew alot about the lakes that we fished this year but i picked up some new tricks of the trade for the boaters that i have been paired up with!! they pair you with your partner randomly with the computer!! And on the co-angler it never takes more tha 3 or 4 pounds to money, i have comsistently caught fish in every tourney and i am setting in10th in the points to go fish the regionals in october!! so i would personally advise you to fish it is a great way to learn alot and make a little money to!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tournament fishing/BFL

like bassking this is my first year also and it couldnt be better...learned alot of new tricks and spots on all lakes that i already have experience with and fished with some great guys and caught some fish as well...im currently sittin in 7th in points and am gettin ready to head to the barren super tourny on thursday to hopefully move on up in points and make some money as well...and then more than likely ill be headin to Lake Wheeler for the regional...so man i would really advise you to pick it up next year,its an awesome learning experience

Post Thanks / Like

anyone know the schedule for the bfl next year?

Post Thanks / Like

Do it! I joined this year for the first time. Learned lots of stuff, and met some great people along the way. I am also sitting inside the top 40 and fishing this weekend. Did some prefishing this past weekend and feel pretty good about my chances!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WacoWildcat View Post
    1. How are you paired with your boater at the events? I see a lot of people looking for co-anglers or boaters for the entire season. Do you fish with the same person every event or is it a draw for the tournament?
    2. How is it being a co-angler? I've never really been on the co-angler side so I am just curious what it is/was like for any of you that tried.
    1. you're paired up FRi night before every tournament(random draw) The reason people are looking for boater/co-angler for entire season is to guarantee them a spot in every toury all season.(ex)if you want to fish one tourny and you dont sign up with a boater and there are more boaters than non-boaters. you go on a waiting list, if more boaters dont sign up you dont fish.
    2. being the co-angler for a year will help under the format, boat-check,line-up and take off and flights. so going as a boater the next year will be easier

Post Thanks / Like

Going as a co-angler is cheap - a much smaller entry fee, no boat to fool with, you can do well even if you didn't do any pre-fishing, and you get chauffeured around all day! I did it for 4 years and had a great time, learned a lot, met some really nice people, and won a little money along the way. It's a great experience and it's a great stepping stone to taking your fishing to the next level.

It's probably the most hassle free fishing you can do! You meet the guy in the morning, then spend the day chilling on the back deck trying to catch a fish or two, and then weigh in at the end of the day and maybe get some money back. It's like a guided fishing trip, only you might win some money!

Post Thanks / Like

This was my first year, I went as a co-angler in the Hoosier division. I finished 33 overall and blanked 2 tournaments, it was tough this year but I learned alot. I am headed to Cherokee Lake in Tenn. October the 14th-18th for the regionals. The regionals next year for the Hoosier division is at Ky Lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished 3 tournaments from the back of the boat this year in the mountain division.... I didnt take a fish to the scales. Learned some usefull things but some people are not meant to fish outa the back of the boat.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonasseed View Post
    I fished 3 tournaments from the back of the boat this year in the mountain division.... I didnt take a fish to the scales. Learned some usefull things but some people are not meant to fish outa the back of the boat.......
    My boater and I had a lengthy discussion about this saturday. Honestly, I would rather fish out of the back of the boat in this format. All you have to worry about is fishing. Not having to worry about running the trolling motor, especially when the wind was whipping like it was Saturday. I weighed fish in 4 of the 5 tournaments, never cashed a check, but still qualified for the regional. So, its off to Wheeler for a week.

Post Thanks / Like

Me and my boater also had a discussion about this saturday...how the coangler has to do nothing but go and catch fish thats already been found for him and not have to work the trollin motor or nothin...its really pretty awesome I weighed fish in every tourny this year and cashed 2 checks and fortunatley finished 5th in points,so like craig im off to wheeler for a week