Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Stock market question

Who thinks it would be a good time to pull out of stocks on there 401k and put it all in the guaranteed.I know its not good for the stock market but im just looking at doing it today so i dont lose much more if it tanks a bunch more.Whats your opinions?Do it or dont?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stock market question

It depends on how long it will be before you retire. The shorter the time, the more % you want in guaranteed funds. If you're like me and still have about 20 years to go, keep buying, and buy more now because everything's cheap!

Post Thanks / Like

Prowler is dead on. If you have a while, just ride it out - chances are you will come out on top, espeially if you have some time to wait. The market will rebound. Now if you were planning on retiring in the next several years - I would seek some professional advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, im only 32 so i have awhile to go.I just hate to log on my account and see it dropping hard.I think im goin to ride it out but man i dont like to lose this much.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep hearing that municipal bonds are the way to go if you want to make sure your money is safe. They are tax exempt and usually have decent return rates.

May be something to look into.

Post Thanks / Like

State and Gov workers like myself almost lost our retirement today if the fed's had'nt bailed out AIG, they insure Ky's retirement. Looks like I can not count on the state for my retirement, so what are some good retirement investments, you have mentioned some, any other ideas? I am getting to the age that retirement age is drawing closer and need to be prepared. Thought that is why I took a State job for was for the retirement and benifits, but now what??????????????????????????????????????????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fisheater View Post
    Who thinks it would be a good time to pull out of stocks on there 401k and put it all in the guaranteed.I know its not good for the stock market but im just looking at doing it today so i dont lose much more if it tanks a bunch more.Whats your opinions?Do it or dont?
    John I did this very thing back in April. I looked stupid to some of my co-workers then as they said I wouldn't make anthing. They are right but guess what, I'm not loosing anything either, lol. What I put in and the compnay match may be making a low percentage right now but at least I'm not giving it to some CEO thief at Fanny Mae or AIG.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, im only 32 so i have awhile to go.I just hate to log on my account and see it dropping hard.I think im goin to ride it out but man i dont like to lose this much.
    Dang John I didn't figure you to be so young.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow,thanks Mark!.lol

Post Thanks / Like

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT PULL OUT OF ANYTHING ON YOUR 401K unless you're planning on retiring in the next year or so.

You need to think with your retirement in mind. It does not matter what's in your 401K today. It only matters what will be there when you retire.

If you sell today you are guaranteeing that you lost the "money" that resulted from the poor performance of the fund. If you keep the money there, then it's just poor performance and not lost money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    ABSOLUTELY DO NOT PULL OUT OF ANYTHING ON YOUR 401K unless you're planning on retiring in the next year or so.

You need to think with your retirement in mind. It does not matter what's in your 401K today. It only matters what will be there when you retire.

If you sell today you are guaranteeing that you lost the "money" that resulted from the poor performance of the fund. If you keep the money there, then it's just poor performance and not lost money.
    He didn't say a word about pulling his money out of his 401-k only changing how his dollars are being allocated. I can change my allocations every six months if I desire his is probably set up similar. I also totally disagree with your theory. If you are in a bad investment and it continues to tank how without changing it to something else or stopping it will you ever recover that money. Read what you posted and tell me if I'm misunderstanding you, I hope I am. If you are saying you are in a stock that has had poor performance for say a year and your loosing dollars everyday, are you saying stick with it and hope some day it gets better, uuuuhh what??

Post Thanks / Like

I work with a fellow that stayed in a bad stock for almost four years hoping it to rebound where it once was. At one time he made good money on this stock and was convinced he would again. After four years of some marginal up's and down's mostly downs he figured he lost over 9,000 dollars on that one bad investment. The stock market is to be played and dabbled with not married to one or some options, as it can leave a nasty hole in your wallet sometimes, lol.