Search Fishin.com

Thread: need advice

Post Thanks / Like

need advice

ok, first off, im new here, anyway, im gonna take my 5 yr old daughter fishing tomorrow after school, in our new boat, id really like her to catch a fish this time. we've been to elkhorn twice 2 weeks ago, and all she did was feed the bluegill (bait robbers) i cought fish all day, and finally talked her into reeling one of mine in. shes hooked, but she wants to do it on her own....does anybody have any good suggestions for a good place to take her where the fish might be a bit more "aggressive"? id like to go somewhere close to lexington, so that we can have more daylight time on the water......
    thanks in advance for any help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: need advice

stoner creek in paris....good time of year to go too...those creek fish are mean, they bite and won't let go.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to try a smaller hook so the youngen can catch those bait stealers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bgwyllys61 View Post
    ok, first off, im new here, anyway, im gonna take my 5 yr old daughter fishing tomorrow after school, in our new boat, id really like her to catch a fish this time. we've been to elkhorn twice 2 weeks ago, and all she did was feed the bluegill (bait robbers) i cought fish all day, and finally talked her into reeling one of mine in. shes hooked, but she wants to do it on her own....does anybody have any good suggestions for a good place to take her where the fish might be a bit more "aggressive"? id like to go somewhere close to lexington, so that we can have more daylight time on the water......
    thanks in advance for any help
    Welcome to the site! Jacobson Park has some bluegill to be caught off of the walkway by the playground. I use to take my daughter there and after fishing we would hit the playground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzzking View Post
    stoner creek in paris....good time of year to go too...those creek fish are mean, they bite and won't let go.

thats what i was thinking...i actually caught one of the biggest fish ive ever caught...i went for the first time last saturday evening....think i might try it again, maybe this time my trolling motor battery wont die on me

where should i go? i went to ikes, but the hydrilla or whatever it is in the water was way thick, and hard to navigate through

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post
    You might want to try a smaller hook so the youngen can catch those bait stealers.

thats some good advice...i thought about it, but i just used what i had...maybe we will stop at walmart on our way

Post Thanks / Like

yes, a little bitty hook and a bee moth larva (wax worm) will catch a bunch of fish. A little bobber also. If she's setting the hook you're gonna have to cut some lines or yank some gullet to get your hooks back.

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of a smaller hook, try a small feather jig with a bee moth below the bobber (you may have to add some split shot). The jig will prevent deep hooking those bluegills. Kids don't like to see those fish dying on the water and the jig will prevent that. The ones I use are called popeye jigs, I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bgwyllys61 View Post
    thats what i was thinking...i actually caught one of the biggest fish ive ever caught...i went for the first time last saturday evening....think i might try it again, maybe this time my trolling motor battery wont die on me

where should i go? i went to ikes, but the hydrilla or whatever it is in the water was way thick, and hard to navigate through

That is an algae bloom I think. Stoner gets it every year during the dog days. I know that. It makes fishing virtually impossible. It wont get better until we get some rain and some water starts moving through there or until it gets cooler. Late October and early November on Stoner can be a lot of fun. You might not catch a lot of big fish, but I have caught as many as 50-60 dinks in a day. Try Fryman's pool. I like it better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uk_bassman View Post
    That is an algae bloom I think. Stoner gets it every year during the dog days. I know that. It makes fishing virtually impossible. It wont get better until we get some rain and some water starts moving through there or until it gets cooler. Late October and early November on Stoner can be a lot of fun. You might not catch a lot of big fish, but I have caught as many as 50-60 dinks in a day. Try Fryman's pool. I like it better.

went to frymans sunday evening, I definately like it better...didnt catch anything, but it was nice to be able to fish and maneuver the boat....im gonna try some late evening fishing down there this weekend, hopefully i wont get skunked this time....