Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hows this for insanity

My son wants to sell his lake front home. no buyers at his asking price. But the county assesor just raised the assesment even more. A few buyers wewre interested, but with the newer regs, they would need to sell thier primary residence.Four years ago, folks were waiting in line to buy this kind of property. The value goes up, but the demand drops. maybe I will need to be a caretaker, but hope not.Folks ask how he could afford the propert he owns on a teachers salary? Like he says, he wasn't always a teacher, he was well paid once.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hows this for insanity

Can't say how it is in whatever county he's in,but the PVA in every county is an elected official and here in Pendleton county the PVA listens to reasonable requests to lower property taxes,otherwise this term might be his last.Having a higher property value only costs you more in tax $$$ and rarely has any effect on market value.
    25 years ago the state wanted to redo a hwy and more or less threatened imminent domain on my fathers farm unless he sold at their price which was $50,000 less than what Kenton Co's PVA made him pay in taxes,the last year he was there dad took the states offer into the PVA's office and said this is what the state says it's worth,they lowered his taxes for that final year.

Post Thanks / Like

Supply the PVA with a few comps showing how it should be lower than the recent assessment and they should drop it.

You never said if the PVA's value was above the asking price, though.

Post Thanks / Like

This is in georgia, and lake front property there was pretty scarse, and commamded a steep price to begain with.It still has value, and it will increase, sionce made a very large down payment its still a sound investment.His agent said to keep the price as he has it, since he isn't hurting on either house. My pva still cant figure out how to find me, got to guide him in.