Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Info

Post Thanks / Like

Kayak Info

Just getting the thought of getting a Kayak for fishing small waters and creeks. Any of you guys have one? I would like some recommendations as to which ones are the most stable and fishing friendly. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kayak Info

They make several differnt Kayaks, but the recreational kayaks are very stable and easy to fish out of. They are some of the cheapest too. They are open, have a flat wider bottom. They are the ones canoe Ky rent out.

There are several others too, but they are not as stable. Touring Kayaks are longer and a more narrow, but they have dry storage, but they will flip a little easier, and may be a little tougher to fish out of.

I used the recreational Kayaks quite a bit on the elkhorn. But most of the time, I was wade fishing, and just using the kayak to cross the deeper sections. I would still make some casts here and there from within the boat.

What about the hank parker boat? I never have seen one in person, but the look pretty fun. Like the pedal cars you had when you were little.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Just getting the thought of getting a Kayak for fishing small waters and creeks. Any of you guys have one? I would like some recommendations as to which ones are the most stable and fishing friendly. Thanks.

I have 2 Perception 11' kayaks. They are the sit-in style. I'm happy with them. One was purchased new from ****'s Sporting Goods. What I like is the very large, open cockpit. They're almost like a sit-on-top in terms of fishability.

I'd be happy to meet up and let you try one out and see if you like it before you go out and purchase one. I'm always looking for an excuse to go out and paddle them around and wet a line. I'm in the Lexington/Nicholasville area. Just PM if you're interested.

I've had them on a few smaller lakes, the KY River, Elkhorn Creek, the Rockcastle River, Dix River and Hickman Creek. I've probably taken them through Class I and some Class II rapids with only one dumpout.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like

I have two Otter's by Old Town. The quality is excellent for the price. Just make sure you get the foot pads because they give you power and control when paddling. Also, you can get rod holders for them to put your fishing rods. Get a gel cushion and you will be set. My wife and I love ours because you can throw in the back of our truck and go. The Otter's weight is around 30 lbs. The 17' sea kayaks we have take up a lot more room and weight doble what the Otter's are. However, if you want to get from point A to point B in a hurry, especially in rough water or in the wind, the sea kayaks are the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I own a sit on top kayak, a pelican 13' that is made for fishing. It has been to FL on numerous occassions and many local creeks and rivers. By far I like this one better than the sit-in style. My 6 year old loves to paddle around in it as well, it is very easy for her to gt wherever she wants with it. It runs about $359 and weighs 43 lbs.

A note on those Hank Parker models-they look fantastic and are very easy to move around in and fish out of, there is just one problem with the fins, they can't get into water any shallower than 12"!! The fins hang down that low and apparently are very expensive to get fixed. My opinion is, why do you want a kayak that you can't get into skinny water with?? Other than that they have every option you could dream of and a Hobie will be my next one for sure, minus the propelling fins!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    I have 2 Perception 11' kayaks. They are the sit-in style. I'm happy with them. One was purchased new from ****'s Sporting Goods. What I like is the very large, open cockpit. They're almost like a sit-on-top in terms of fishability.

I'd be happy to meet up and let you try one out and see if you like it before you go out and purchase one. I'm always looking for an excuse to go out and paddle them around and wet a line. I'm in the Lexington/Nicholasville area. Just PM if you're interested.

I've had them on a few smaller lakes, the KY River, Elkhorn Creek, the Rockcastle River, Dix River and Hickman Creek. I've probably taken them through Class I and some Class II rapids with only one dumpout.

Michael
    Thanks for the offer I might take you up on that. I have read about sit in and sit on. I would think the best is sit in? I would like to be comfortable with back support. Have you tried others? I have read about the sea kayaks as Bonefish mentioned as well.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to keep in mind with the sea kayaks they do not turn very well, whereas, the smaller ones turn on a dime. The more of a keel a kayak has the straighter it will track. That is why the "play white water" kayaks turn so well in swift water because they have no keel. A white water kayak would dvive you crazy try to control it while fishing, and the long sea kayak would drive you crazy trying to turn it. I like the Otter because it has enough keel on it to track fairly straight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Thanks for the offer I might take you up on that. I have read about sit in and sit on. I would think the best is sit in? I would like to be comfortable with back support. Have you tried others? I have read about the sea kayaks as Bonefish mentioned as well.
    Anytime. Just let me know.

I've never tried others, although my brother has used a Dagger Blackwater and a couple of friends had them as well. They are pretty similar to what I have.

A lot of people swear by the sit on type for fishing as you described, but I feel that I wouldn't be as comfortable on top. I've never used one, though. I think the ones that I have are a good compromise with the big cockpit.

The back support is pretty good. I've used them on several long floats down Elkhorn and the Rockcastle river.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like

You need to check out Native Watercrafts Ultimate Kayak. It is hybrib Yak/Canoe. They have an Angler version, but too expensive in my opinion. I bought a regular and installed my own flush mount rod holders behind the seat and a drag chain system for less than $50 and it's good to go for fishing streams and small lakes.

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/

Post Thanks / Like

S.O.T without a doubt. Buy a Wilderness Systems Tarpon once and never look back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    S.O.T without a doubt. Buy a Wilderness Systems Tarpon once and never look back.
    I agree with TimE. I've fished out of several types and styles of Canoyaks and the Wilderness Systems Pungo and Tarpon Series are by far the best all around. I own a Tarpon 120 and fish it everywhere and anywhere. It is a sit-on-top model and in my opinion that is the only way to go with a fishing kayak. It may seem as though it's not as stable, and more likely to tump over, but I can actually stand up on mine for fly casting without fear that I'm going in the drink. The backrest is adjustable and comfortable and I have dozed off in mine more than once. I also have a Kayak Loader hooked to the hitch of my Tahoe so that I can get it on and off by myself. This has allowed me to go to different places more often without always having to take a buddy, two cars, etc.

Wilderness Systems is owned by a company called Confluence Watersports, the same company which produces Perception, Dagger, Wavesport, Mad River Canoe, and Harmony Canoes/Kayaks. That's not to say that all of these lines are the same with regards to their fishing style boats. IMO Wilderness Systems is the top of their line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    What he said. I like my Tarpon 120 so well I'm selling my Outcast FishCat 9 Lite ... a good personal pontoon. It's in the classifieds on this site if anyone is interested.