Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Nolin Water Temps

Hasn't anyone been fising on Nolin in the last few days?

I want to keep a yearly log of when the Fall Turnover happens on Nolin. If you fished on Nolin recently, I would appreciate it if you will tell me what the water temperatures were. I am especially interested in the early morning temps anyplace on the main lake but would also like to know what they were in any of the creeks.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nolin Water Temps

Two weekends ago it was 74-76 degrees in the morning depending where you were... I would say by now its low 70's to just below 70 degrees. The nights are cooler but the days are still warm

Post Thanks / Like

I know this doesn't help much but I was at Rough on Sunday. Fished from noon until 6pm. Water temp ranged from 76 - 77. Fished from State Park to Panther Creek. I didn't see any areas of turnorver. Overall fishing was slow as far as keepers. Caught lots of short fish on wind blown main lake flat areas. Hope this helps a little. My next trip will be Nolin and I'll post any info that I gather.

Post Thanks / Like

Last friday afternoon it was 76-77 on the mainlake and 74-75 about halfway back dog creek.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all of you, it looks like it hasn't cooled too much YET. It will be interesting to see wiat this cold snap does. I am going Thursday or Friday and I will check it out.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Grumpy, Sunday afternoon it was 76 around the island in Dog Creek.

Wizard

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Wizzard.

Post Thanks / Like

Grumpy ,
    at what temp do you think it turns over on Nolin?

Eddie

Post Thanks / Like

Eddie, the short answer to you question is at about 60 degrees. But if you want my explanation, keep reading.

Believe me I am not an expert in any of the stuff I am about to write about, but my reason for trying to determine when the Fall Turnover occurs is to be able to be on the water when the Fall Feeding Frenzy occurs. I think that the Feeding Frenzy starts after the temperatures and oxygen levels equalize (become the same/constant from top to close to the bottom) after the Turnover.

Sometime toward the end of September (in most years) the water will start to cool from its Summer time highs and this will cause the shad to move into the creeks and Bass will go after them. I call this the pre-turnover feeding frenzy, although it is not generally as frantic as the Fall Feeding Frenzy.

The pre-turnover feeding frenzy usually occurs in the creeks and longer coves, off the main lake, that are shallower then the depth of the lake’s thermolcline. The water/oxygen in the creeks/coves will be the first to mix but there won’t be a true “Fall Turnover” because there is not a Thermocline it these shallower areas.

Anyhow, I have watched the Corps’ Water Quality Data for the last couple of years. This year, as of September 22nd, the Thermolcline was at about 25 to 30 feet and the water temp. was about 75 degrees. At about 40 to 45 feet, which I think is a good average depth for Nolin, the temps were about 63 to 65 degrees. According to the “experts” that I have read, the Thermlcline will be at a constant depth throughout a lake. In other words, if it is a 30 feet at the dam, it will be around 30 feet everyplace in the lake that is 35 to 40 feet or deeper (there has to be room below the thermocline for the bottom layer to set up).

I think that when the surface water cools to about 70 degress, the water ABOVE the Thermocline will start to mix but not break through the Thermocline. When the upper layer cools to about 60 degrees (in this example) it will break through the Thermocline and cause the whole water column to turn over and mix from top to bottom, When this happens, the oxygen content is all mixed up along with all the muck and debris that comes up from the bottom and lower depths. After the Thermocline breaks up, I think it takes about seven to ten days for the water to stabilize and then the Fall Feeding Frenzy begins. Obviously, all of these timeframes, depths and guesses can vary greatly depending on when the weather changes or doesn’t change also on how fast or slowly it changes,..

The bottom line is that IN MY OPINION in most years the Fall Turnover and the Fall Feeding Frenzy happen sometime in between late September and the middle of November, but generally sometime in October. I love fall fishing, except during and right after the Turnover.

OK, now all of you others can chime in and tell me what you think.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Grumpy,

Doe's the draw down fit into this? My understanding is that the draw down is takeing place at this time.

DA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Eddie, the short answer to you question is at about 60 degrees. But if you want my explanation, keep reading.

Believe me I am not an expert in any of the stuff I am about to write about, but my reason for trying to determine when the Fall Turnover occurs is to be able to be on the water when the Fall Feeding Frenzy occurs. I think that the Feeding Frenzy starts after the temperatures and oxygen levels equalize (become the same/constant from top to close to the bottom) after the Turnover.

Sometime toward the end of September (in most years) the water will start to cool from its Summer time highs and this will cause the shad to move into the creeks and Bass will go after them. I call this the pre-turnover feeding frenzy, although it is not generally as frantic as the Fall Feeding Frenzy.

The pre-turnover feeding frenzy usually occurs in the creeks and longer coves, off the main lake, that are shallower then the depth of the lake’s thermolcline. The water/oxygen in the creeks/coves will be the first to mix but there won’t be a true “Fall Turnover” because there is not a Thermocline it these shallower areas.

Anyhow, I have watched the Corps’ Water Quality Data for the last couple of years. This year, as of September 22nd, the Thermolcline was at about 25 to 30 feet and the water temp. was about 75 degrees. At about 40 to 45 feet, which I think is a good average depth for Nolin, the temps were about 63 to 65 degrees. According to the “experts” that I have read, the Thermlcline will be at a constant depth throughout a lake. In other words, if it is a 30 feet at the dam, it will be around 30 feet everyplace in the lake that is 35 to 40 feet or deeper (there has to be room below the thermocline for the bottom layer to set up).

I think that when the surface water cools to about 70 degress, the water ABOVE the Thermocline will start to mix but not break through the Thermocline. When the upper layer cools to about 60 degrees (in this example) it will break through the Thermocline and cause the whole water column to turn over and mix from top to bottom, When this happens, the oxygen content is all mixed up along with all the muck and debris that comes up from the bottom and lower depths. After the Thermocline breaks up, I think it takes about seven to ten days for the water to stabilize and then the Fall Feeding Frenzy begins. Obviously, all of these timeframes, depths and guesses can vary greatly depending on when the weather changes or doesn’t change also on how fast or slowly it changes,..

The bottom line is that IN MY OPINION in most years the Fall Turnover and the Fall Feeding Frenzy happen sometime in between late September and the middle of November, but generally sometime in October. I love fall fishing, except during and right after the Turnover.

OK, now all of you others can chime in and tell me what you think.

Grumpy

Thanks Grumpy for your insight. I would say you hit the nail on the head.

Eddie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greenriverman1 View Post
    Grumpy,

Doe's the draw down fit into this? My understanding is that the draw down is takeing place at this time.

DA
    Greenriveram1, I think that the drawdown plays a MINOR role in the initial mixing of the water above the Thermolcline in most years. If we have an unusually long, warm Fall and the turnover is late, then it may play a bigger part. My reasoning is that Nolin starts a slow drawdown in September but doesn't pull the plug intil the first of November and by thet time, usaully, the Fall Turnover has happened.

Grumpy