Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Any Coyote Hunters here?

I've killed a few over the years when opportunity presented itself,but never specifically targeted them.I might change that though,tonight I heard what sounded like 4 or 5 howling in the hollow south of my house,then the first time in my life what sounded like a chase,I have no idea what the were after,but my wife left for work about the same time and saw several does come out by our gate at the top of the same hollow(1/2 mile driveway).They were minus a fawn we usually see with them she said,so who knows?
    Anyway I wondered if calling with a rabbit in distress call would be the best tactic or any suggestions would be welcomed here.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any Coyote Hunters here?

I killed one with my bow a few years back, but I have never actually hunted them. If you don't get some information here, you can try:

http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forum...splay.php?f=27

this is there varmint hunting message board and these guys appear to no there stuff.
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    I killed one with my bow a few years back, but I have never actually hunted them. If you don't get some information here, you can try:

http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forum...splay.php?f=27

this is there varmint hunting message board and these guys appear to no there stuff.
    Sorry but I wouldn't go to that website anymore if they paid me,I got banned by the Uncle Lees Militia for taking up for landowner rights against all the "incrowd" boys there who can say and do as they please without any repercussions.Quackerstacker is nothing short of a mini-dictator that needs to be brought down a notch or two.While there are a few fine people that post there,some of the heirarchy and mods are biased and uninformed.
    Next time you are over there look up archived posts under kyfanatic or lonesomepine and tell me what I did wrong.I was one of the 1st members there originally.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, sorry but I did remember lonesome pine, I even talked to you a few times over there. I post under the same name over there, but didn't realize your deal. Sorry about that. If I were you, I would look up Varmint hunting or cocote hunting on google or something.

Post Thanks / Like

I started coyote hunting last fall with big expectations. So far I have killed one. From what I have learned, I'ts a matter of timing since coyotes are nomads. They may be on your farm one night and 3 miles away the next. The one time that I did manage to call them in, I was hunting on a farm near Kincaid Lake. I was with a friend on mine and as we were walking back the ridge to our hunting spot, we heard one howl. After we set up and started calling we saw about 4 of them looking in our direction about 400 yards away.Within 30 seconds 2 of them got within 10 yards.I shot one. The guy I was hunting with still had his scope power turned up from waching them at 400 yards and never could pick them up. They were headed right for him since he was playing the caller. We were using a Johnny Stewart electronic caller with a woodpecker in distress call. Your best bet would be to hunt when you know they are there. Set up and use a rabbit in distress mouth or a portable cd player with an external speaker. If you want someone else to thin them out give me a cal 859-654-2767. Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with ya kyfanatic! I walked away from there and NEVER went back. As for the coyotes-it is my newest bad habit. Called in 7 last year and took one. They are one wiley customer. A real pro gave me some tips. 1st is you gotta sneak to your hunting spot- and I mean sneak. It's a whole different ballgame from deer hunting. They want to circle you most of the time and come in downwind, so you try to figure out their route and use that ploy against them. In nearly 30 years of deer/bowhunting I saw only 2 coyotes the entire time. I decided I would try to call them in and called in those seven my first year(Jan-Mar). There are a lot more out there than people think.
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The best time around here to hunt them is mid Feb through March (mating season). Get yourself some rabbit scent and one of those electronic calls with remote control from Cabelas for about $150. Take lunch and sit in your deerstand. Put some of that scent on some cotton about 75 yards out in front of you. I've had much more luck in the evening after 4 but you can have them come in all day. The rabbit squealer seems to work the quickest but those mating yelps work great too.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Northeastern KY if anybody has a place to coyote hunt I would love to come along. I have never done this but would love to learn.