Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Cumberland River Trout Run???

New to trout fishing and the Cumberland. Is there such a thing as a winter or spring trout run on the river in the area between Wolf Creek Dam and say Burkesville? Also, same question for walleye? Any iinfo/comments much appreciated.

Good Fishing to All.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cumberland River Trout Run???

Boone,

The trout don't seem to make any type of "run" search for the KDFW trout movement study on the cumberland river. You'll see that the tagged trout in the study seem to find a home territory and stick close to it. There is some movement in the Fall when some of the fish attempt to spawn, but I wouldn't call it a run. The walleye and stripers do travel up and down the river. Somewhat unpredictable, best bet is to to just keep your eyes and ears open for word that they are biting.
    Good luck down there. It is truly God's Country! Can be a tough place to fish some days, other days they'll bite anything you throw at them. Enjoy your trip, watch the release from the dam, take your camera, and go catch fish

Post Thanks / Like

The trout in the C-River definetly spawn every fall. Now...the spawn can take place in several areas of the river. Look for gravel bars and tributaries for spawning trout. Browns will spawn first, followed by the Bows. If you fly fish, this is an excellent time to throw a glo-bug or any other "egg" immitation fly. Should be starting soon! I'm PUMPED! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Cumberland River Trout Run???

Bird, Rich;
    Thanks for the input. The article you referenced on trout movement is very informative, thanks again. For others reference the article you referenced can be viewed at http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/navigat...vPath=C101C552. Next thing on my wish list ito Santa is a pair of waders......

Gods County, you said it. The wife and I are in the process of building our retirement home in the Jamestown area and hope to move in by the end of the year. We can't wait! The new home will put us about 6 miles from Wolf Creek Dam.....Looking forward to some GREAT FISHING....Stripers (caught first keepers on down riggers last week), smallmounth (started FNF last winter and boated a couple of slot fish). Also looking forward to catching some green fishwalleye and crappie.

Good Fishing to All,

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Boone;342157]Bird, Rich;
    Thanks for the input. The article you referenced on trout movement is very informative, thanks again. For others reference the article you referenced can be viewed at http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/navigat...vPath=C101C552.

Sure thing Boone...I didn't even know I was referencing an article. Funny! Just throwing out there what I've learned over the years. The time is near at hand.............CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!