Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rod and line for crankbaiting?

I have a question reguarding a crankbait rod? For a good all around cranking rod would I need a M, MH, or H rod? I would like to use it for both shallow and deep diving cranks. Thanks

DJ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rod and line for crankbaiting?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Callahan_27 View Post
    I have a question reguarding a crankbait rod? For a good all around cranking rod would I need a M, MH, or H rod? I would like to use it for both shallow and deep diving cranks. Thanks

DJ
    Medium power is fine but I find myself likeing the medium heavy most of the time depending on size of crankbait. Medium heavy will cover a wide range of applications a little better than a medium.

Post Thanks / Like

It totally depends on the predominant type of fishing you're doing, in other words, if you shallow crank a lot and only occasionally crank deep then stick with a medium, if you're trying for an overall rod or predominantly deep cranking, go with a medium heavy. Remember though, when you're talking rod action, all manufacturers are different, it totally depends on how your rod feels to you. I use a 7 1/2 foot Loomis Crankin Rod in medium which I find works in virtually all situations and it throws a plug a mile, be they 1/8 ounce all the way up. As far as line goes, I prefer the clear (non-flourescent), mono as I feel that stretch is a desireable attribute in crankbait fishing. I don't understand why a person would use a crankbait rod for crankin and put flourocarbon line (no stetch) on it. Crankin rods are inherently flexible and to me the more flex in the rod and line the better as long as the initial hookset takes. Hope this helps, may be a bit windy.

Post Thanks / Like

i like to use a 7'0 foot medium rod fiberglass and 8 to 10 pound florocarbin becouse the florocarbin gets a little more debth and i set my drag to a smooth pool to make up for the non strech of the florocarbin. hope this helps. for the most part it all depends on the way it feels best for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer a 7'0 rod for cranking, just for the added casting distance. You can save alot of mone and get a BPS crankin' stick here in a week or two when the christmas pricing starts 19.99-29.99. I have used several high dollar crankin rods, but this one in a medium action is a great all around crankbait rod for shallow to medium depths. For smaller shallow crankbaits I use 12 lb. gamma (very abrasion resistant and tough as nails for pulling out of brush).

If you are looking for a rod specifically for deep crank baits 15'+, I would get a bit heavier action rod, and glass rod (when pulling a mad keeper off a ledge, the forgiving tip of a glass rod will help keep the hooks pinned). I have a fenwick elite tech. crankin rod for deep crankbaits and it is the best I have found. The Butt half of the rod is graphite - gives some backbone, and makes it a little lighter, with an all fiberglass soft tip-half. It can cast a dd22 as good as anything, and doesn't break your arm keeping it deep. I use a 10' flouro on deep divers with a 5:1 reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Col Forbin View Post
    I prefer a 7'0 rod for cranking, just for the added casting distance. You can save alot of mone and get a BPS crankin' stick here in a week or two when the christmas pricing starts 19.99-29.99. I have used several high dollar crankin rods, but this one in a medium action is a great all around crankbait rod for shallow to medium depths. For smaller shallow crankbaits I use 12 lb. gamma (very abrasion resistant and tough as nails for pulling out of brush).

If you are looking for a rod specifically for deep crank baits 15'+, I would get a bit heavier action rod, and glass rod (when pulling a mad keeper off a ledge, the forgiving tip of a glass rod will help keep the hooks pinned). I have a fenwick elite tech. crankin rod for deep crankbaits and it is the best I have found. The Butt half of the rod is graphite - gives some backbone, and makes it a little lighter, with an all fiberglass soft tip-half. It can cast a dd22 as good as anything, and doesn't break your arm keeping it deep. I use a 10' flouro on deep divers with a 5:1 reel.

I agree with you Col. I use the BPS crankin stick, and for the price you cant beat it for a all around rod. I have switched to fluorocarbon, I use 10lb BPS brand, and it gets the baits down to where they need to be, and has great feel.

Post Thanks / Like

Wishiniwasfishin put me onto the BPS Crankin' Stick and he did not steer me wrong...I have a Curado reel on it and it's one heck of a sweet combo! I paid fifty or so dollars for mine though, I didn't realize BPS would be putting them on sale...if they go for less than 30 bucks I'm going to go buy at least two more!

Post Thanks / Like

for shallow to med.(less than 12foot) cranks. i use a St. Croix 6'6" glass rod, 5:1 curado and 12lb XPS florocarbon line. for deeper cranks go with a 7 footer

Post Thanks / Like

I like a 6'6'' all glass rod with 10lbs mono for all my cranking. I also like a glass rod for all my top water as well.

New Washington, Indiana, The good ole U.S.A..
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Loomis MH 7' crankbait series rod, & absolutely LOVE it. It is paired with a Currado I put 10 lb. Pline in the moss green on it. I cannot complain one bit, other than the price I had to pay for the Loomis. But it is well worth it. IMO I have had St. Croix, & Falcon, both crankbait rods, & I like this one 1000 times better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wishniwasfishn View Post
    I agree with you Col. I use the BPS crankin stick, and for the price you cant beat it for a all around rod. I have switched to fluorocarbon, I use 10lb BPS brand, and it gets the baits down to where they need to be, and has great feel.
    I've used St. Croix Glass Rod and Loomis Crank Rods and have decided I like the BPS Crankin Stik the best. I use a 7ft Med. Action for Shallow to Mid divers (10lb Mono) and 7-1/2 Med Action for deep divers (10-12 lb Fluro). For the price you can't beat the BPS Crankin Stik. They usually go on sale a couple times a year for $39.99. They used to go on sale for 29.99 but they have since raised the price (probably has something to do with oil LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

I like a 7-7'6" MH. Right now I'm using a Berkley Cherrywood which is a low priced rod with a soft tip and it works fine. I also use 10# mono because I want as much give between the fish and my hookset as I can get.