Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sunday Afternoon Boat Ride

It was a lovely Fall day yesterday (Sunday), so "Sweetie" and I decided to go for an afternoon boat ride and look at the leaves around the lake. No fisherman in his/her right mind can ride in a boat without, at least, thinking about chunkin' something into the water. Such was our case.

We asked different fishermen if they had caught anything and everyone said, "No, not a nibble. I'm heading for the house." So being the devoted fishermen we are, it would have been a bad omen if we hadn't shown the fish some courtesy and thrown something as an offering for a fair fight. That way when someone asked us if we caught anything we would have an answer, without a red face, while explaining that we were just looking at the leaves.

Nothing was happening as we cruised up and down first one bank and then another. Finally, the 'genius' among us came up with the idea, let's tie on a deep-diver and just cruise with the trolling motor. So, using 4 rods, we tied on two Creek Chubs (topwater) and two 6-inch Redfin deep divers (6-8 ft), and let them drag in the water while we enjoyed the ride. About 4 pm the action started, the first LM hit and came in at a good 3 pounds, about 15 minutes later another 3-pound LM, then less than 5 minutes later the last LM came in weighing 4 pounds. All three were caught on the SAME Redfin; a silver color with black back and red gills and eyes. The other Redfin was silver with a blue back, red eyes and gills and didn't produce one bite. I think the largemouths had a definite color preference for Sunday dinner.

Oh, it was never my intention to brag (lol), I just forgot to tell you the leaves were beautiful, just not as much as the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sunday Afternoon Boat Ride

Ain't that the way it goes? When your not really trying something like that happens. But I'll take that luck anyday!