Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striper talk!

Post Thanks / Like

Striper talk!

Just a reminder for those members that also fish Norris, the creel limit is 36" min. and one fish per day from Nov.1st thru March.
    They are much more releaseable(sp) this time of year.
    It would be nice to see something like this on Cumberland IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Striper talk!

I agree, would be good to have the 36" size on Cumberland for the winter months. Probably not until December though as many stripers in Cumberland hang out deeper than they do at Norris until then. I still like the 2 at 20" for the summer too.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

While more and more are coming shallow earlier, some may still be deep as APB said. Caught three last weekend casting. THAT is when its fun in the fall. Well, spring too. But these fish were already at 30-35 in 65 ft of water. I know, I know, it's all about the jig, right APB? I still need to send you a check!! Crapola.. Sorry bout that..

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see the word "striper" on this forum again...

Duayne, Andrew - hope all is well. 2008 was the least amount of striper fishing I've done since buying my first boat back in 2000. Family expansion is to blame but I'm not complaining; just grooming my future fishing buddy or i should say buddies since I have a new future partner scheduled to arrive in March. So, 2009 may replace 2008 as the year I've done the least amount of striper fishing since owning my first boat...

I do plan on testing the waters one more time this winter however at a not too distant steam plant - still on the hunt to fill that empty space on my wall... I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see ya, Scott! Dad's filled me in on the Cat's you guys are chasing. You know you could always bring those partners on down when the lady is feeling like it. It was a great year (so far) for the times I DID get down. Lot's of boat issues. But, usually did really well and I am happy to report that I probably caught fish 8 (or more) to one on artificle versus live bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta be those bucktail spinz with APBs secret sauce...lol. always a blast to catch em casting - glad to hear from you. The one day hall passes allow me to fish for some of those big whisker fish so I'm still getting some pull therapy. A big tourney over the weekend in AL where 50s-60s were common at the scales and big fish went 101 pounds. Now that's some drag screamin'

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reminder on Norris. That used to be a great trophy lake. Many 30 + pound stripers and several huge stripers over the years. They have had a lot of problems over the years with controversy about striper diet and then disease of some kind. Sounds like they are on the fast track now. I would love to see Lake Cumberland do the same thing. The pictures I saw of stripers caught back in September makes me wonder if the stripers are healthy. The ones I saw were very skinny. No belly at all. Thats not a good sign. I hope to get down there some time after Thanksgiving and do some plugging. Nothing like having a striper hit your crank bait. I just hope they aren't like the 24 lber I caught several years ago. That fish had a huge head and probably should have been between 30 and 40 lb. It was a very skinny fish. I say bring back the gizzards that will fatten them up.

Post Thanks / Like

The gizzards are alive and well. You can FILL your net with every throw!
    Hopefully all the stripers will get fat this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Campinman, are you talking Norris or Cumberland? As for the creel limit on Norris, I think it is a great idea and should be considered on Lake Cumberland. Lets make Lake Cumberland the trophy striper lake it should be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by campinman View Post
    The gizzards are alive and well. You can FILL your net with every throw!
    Hopefully all the stripers will get fat this year.
    First off let me welcome you to the Fishin.com board. Now where are you catching all this good bait? heads of creeks,shallow water etc.
    Guy's if this is the Campinman that I think it is you may want to hook up with him if you fish the Cumberland Point area.
    MeanM I guess it's time I got some of those Gizz 4 etc. baits, tell me how and where.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PRO V LE View Post
    First off let me welcome you to the Fishin.com board. Now where are you catching all this good bait? heads of creeks,shallow water etc.
    Guy's if this is the Campinman that I think it is you may want to hook up with him if you fish the Cumberland Point area.
    MeanM I guess it's time I got some of those Gizz 4 etc. baits, tell me how and where.
    Howdy PRO V,
    Yes, this is CampinMan from Cumberland Point. I've been netting the shad in about 20 feet of water back in our creeks. They arent quite as big as I would like, but adequate, about 4-5 inches. Someone suggested that they may be Threadfin not gizzard shad. I'm not sure of the difference. Can you explain this to me so I dont misrepresent the bait??

Post Thanks / Like

Also, if you know of anyone that would like to sell a Minn Kota AutoPilot trolling motor or trade for a good used Motor guide, let me know.....

campinman@windstream.net

thanks