Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Went Wade Fishing

Well I had to get my mind off the Election Results and I thought of no other way than to go fishing.

I went out and tried out my new waders, they were great, but needed some insulation in them, Cause that water is really cold

Well I was using one of my homemade spinner baits I made strictly for the creeks...Small # 2 colorado blade with a Chart. jig head and small 3 inch Chat. grub. Well on the second cast, I hooked up with a nice Brownie and the fight was on....I have 4 lb test line on my ultra light outfit and the drag was-a-singin..... I fought the fish and after the nice Brownie made about 4 jumps, she cam unbuttoned...But the thrill was there for more action... Another cast and another hookup...big brownie made 3 jumps and came unbuttoned again...My ultra light rod just doesn't have the back bone for really setting the hook when using spinner baits and small worms.

Anyway I continued to cast and as it was getting close to 1 pm I made a nice cast to a small patch of dead weeds sticking up out of the water just past a riffle. As soon as the bait hit the water a nice 15" smallie took it and ran and ran and ran, drag just a smokin off the reel. I kept tight tension on the line and after a few nice jumps I was finally able to land the fish.... No camera with me or fishing partner so pictuers were out of the question. Since I was catching some fish my wife might accompany me to my favorite honey hole today and try our luck some more. Only this time I'm wearing my insulated waders and wading boots to help with that cold water.....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Went Wade Fishing

What creek? Ive been meaning hit up Harrods lately. Some good fish there!

Post Thanks / Like

Beshears Creek and today I went to Otter Creek and hooked up with about 10 fish and only caught 1 trout, which was my first one ever. I thought I took a picture of it with my cell phone. But when I got home and checked, no picture...I closed the phone as soon as I heard the click of the camera. But I think I should have checked to make sure it took before closing the camera....My mistake...water was ultra clear and another fly fisherman was catching them on some type of hair fly. I caught mine on a homemade spinner bait with a small 2" chart. grub on the back.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you are up and fishing again We need to go sometime!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Went Wade Fishing

Wade fishing was one of my favorites for years. Used to wade for steelhead in waters that had ice chunks floating in the current,and at night on part of another river for walleye.BUT got old, not the fishing me!Those toasty warm insulated waders I bought to surf fish in the gulf, got to be just too heavy to wear.I'll bet they weighed over 35 lbs,then add a vest with at least 8 pockets full of fishing tackle, and you're pushing 40 pounds, then add a net and lanyard, and now you,re ready to start.Just three steps later, you realize you need to pee[there are no zippers on waders].This summer I bought a pair of light weight cheaper waders, and gave away those heavy waders to a guy on the cumberland river, he was alot younger than I am, wish him well. Its an enjoyable way to fish, a lot of care is needed, because a step into very deep water can be fatal, I kept my draw string as tight as i couild in new waters. We fished some beaches at night in michigan for giant brown trout, and I did have one on, and caught a few large chinook salmon wading those beaches, but those days are gone forever, developers built condos on the acess places, and on the gulf, no tresspassing signs started to show up everyplace.But the memorys will always be there.If you live close to wolf creek dam, you can still wade,and catch all the trout you want at times. Best of luck, think I'll put on the longies, heavy socks and give it a try next week.

Post Thanks / Like

I got both type of waders, insulated and not...Believe me with my bad back, that water was sure cold with just using the non-insulated waders.