Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Shimano cumara or crucial??

Hey everyone i was looking into getting a rod for a great friend of mine as a birthday present. He has always used all star rods and i am a castaway man myself but i have been slowly switching him over. I have been thinking of getting him a shimano rod because of the warranty on them. He has 6 boys and he needs a good warrranty just in case something happens like the boys borrowing his pole with him not around. He is a smallmouth fisherman and of course his favorite lake is Dale Hollow. I was wondering if anyone has used the warranty on any of the shimano rods and if you can take them back to any store that sells them or if it has to be the one where you bought the rod. I also want to know everyone's feelings on the 2 rods. I personally do not know anyone who fishes with either. I know that both rods feel great but i would like some input from guys who may have used them. Any help would be appreciated. This guy is one of the best guys you could ever meet and he has had a really bad year. He lost a son in Iraq this year and his brother due to an accident only 2 months later. He has been getting out on the lake a lot more now because he needs to get away so i am trying to help him out a little more. He is the guy that will suffer every day to try to give his family everything he can so i really respect him and i am going to try to do something nice for him since i know he won't spend the money on himself. Thanks guys.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shimano cumara or crucial??

I work occassionally at a store that carries Shimano rods. I would definitely go with the Cumara - one of the best feeling rods out there. They are extremely light and sensitive, but they do break on occassion (no more than loomis or other comparable brands). You can trade them in at any retailer that sells Shimano - it doesn't have to be the same store you bought it from. There is no cost to totally replace the rod - however you may have to pay for shipping ($10-$15) - as Shimano requires the store to ship them the broken rod, so that the store can be reimbursed. I have traded several out. It is an outstanding warrantee. Both Shimano and E-21/Carrot Sticks have the same over the counter, no pay warrantee that no other rod can beat. Even Loomis charges $40 for an exchange.

Spend the extra money on the Cumara, your friend will love it. I just grabbed one for my dad for christmas. The warrantee was the deciding factor, as I am willing to bet he will shut it in the car door in less than a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Col Forbin View Post
    Spend the extra money on the Cumara, your friend will love it. I just grabbed one for my dad for christmas. The warrantee was the deciding factor, as I am willing to bet he will shut it in the car door in less than a year.
    Not too sure how much the Shimano rods are, but the BPS Finesse rods are pretty SWEET, and are REALLY light.

I myself am a Loomis Man, and LOVE them, but they are spendy........BUT as all my friends can attest to.....I'm HARD on equipment and they have a NO QUESTIONS ASKED policy. for 50 bucks they will expedite a new rod overnight.........for 25.........not 40 bucks, they will exchange via snail mail........

The 25 is an old number.......maybe it has gone to 40 bucks, but hey, it is worth every DANG penny..........

I've replaced 5 or 6 rods over the last 5 years, and they have never balked. I've even replaced one because the cork didnt' feel "right" agains the carbon fiber handle, which had a "ridge" that just didn't quite work right.......

THEY are GREAT.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Shimano cumara or crucial??

Cumara

Post Thanks / Like

Cumara if a Loomis is not an option.

Post Thanks / Like

I put some Cumara's in my guide boat this year...two baitcasters and two spinning rods. No doubt they are nice rods with a good feel....probably has something to do with the fact Shimano owns G-Loomis...lol. The selling point for me was not only do you get a quality rod but when it breaks...and it will sooner or later if you use them as much as mine get used....it has the lifetime over the counter warranty. When I have a rod broken I can't wait until a new one is shipped or even shipped overnight...I need it now so I can use it tomorrow morning....thus the Cumaro and Crucial both have this warrenty...just pick either of them up and buy the one you like the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Both are very nice rods. The Cumara tends to offer models made for jigs and worms only. The Crucial has a broader range of rods.

For my money, I like the Crucial and several shimano dealers have told me the same thing. When I get into Cumara money I buy a Loomis. I own Crucial crankbait and drop shot rods and am very happy.

I'm not sure a all purpose rod exists in the Cumara line. The 6'8 Extra fast medium may be the most multi-purpose rod in that line.

Post Thanks / Like

I will agree with davidsa:
    Cumara's are awesome!!! But, they are a worm,jig,bottom bouncing bait type rod. I would crank,spinnerbait,buzzbait,etc. with them.
    However, if you are looking at a great feeling all around good rod that will cover many types of bass fishing---stay with the Crucial series. I love the MH 6'10" models with extra fast tips.
    The Cumara's are very technique specific. I was told by my Shimano rep, that they may expand that series, but not anytime soon.

Shimano is the only way to go! Oh yeah, Dave Stewart was correct---Shimano does own Gloomis, part of the reason why Shimano stepped up their bass fishing rod program so much the last few years.

Post Thanks / Like

i bought seven of the crucials this spring and I love them. They are so light with extremly good feel. I was gonna buy all gloomis until I heard what a warranty difference there was. Im getting ready to buy another one of the crankbait rods for me for xmas, I want 7-11 for large cranks.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys thanks for all of your help. I got him the crucial drop shot rod in med/hvy because that is the one he wanted the most and liked the feel of the best. Thanks for all your suggestions. Now i guess it will be time to do a field test!

Post Thanks / Like

I have always been a Loomis guy, but the Crucial is a sweet rod. I love the walk in replacement.

Post Thanks / Like

Each to his own--But i have sure hooked alot of my big pet fish with my Crucial rods.. i LIKE THEM