Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

New State Record Muskie Nov. 2008

From KY Fish & Wildlife

A 14-year-old freshman at Montgomery County High School landed a 47-pound muskellunge while fishing with her family on Cave Run Lake Nov. 2. Sarah Terry’s fish is now Kentucky’s state record muskellunge.
    “I saw it come to the boat,” she said. “It went under the boat and then came back out and hit it. It really chomped that bait. If I had a dollar for every time I said ‘Oh, my God,’ I would be rich.”
    Terry and her stepfather, Scott Salchli, were fishing the edge of a weed bed near the Claylick Boat Ramp late in the afternoon when the fish struck. Terry caught the record muskie on a Double Cowgirl in-line spinner with two size 10 gold blades and a purple skirt.
    The 54-inch fish succumbed as Terry made a figure eight in the water with her lure. Muskellunge that follow a lure but don’t strike often fall for this old trick.
    “She did the figure eight perfectly,” Salchli said. “She made really good, wide circles. The fish struck just as she was making her second figure eight.”
    The new state record is only the third muskellunge the teen has caught since she started fishing for them last September. “It didn’t fight that long, but was still unbelievable,” she said. “I was running around the boat ramp. I felt like doing jumping jacks. I could’ve run laps around the whole lake.”
    Salchli, who works for a soft drink company, also guides anglers for muskellunge on weekends on Cave Run. He is also a member of the Professional Musky Tournament Trail.
    “This is the first Sunday I’ve had off in a while,” he said. “This was the only fish we saw all day.”
    Terry won the in-line spinner that caught the record at a Muskies Incorporated banquet earlier in the year. The teenager realizes the significance and rarity of her catch. “I’ve been to Muskies Inc. banquets and saw older people who fished for 50 years trying to catch this kind of fish,” Terry said.
    Her record muskellunge surpassed the previous state record by nearly three pounds. Lexington resident Scott Flatt caught the former record, a 44.38-pound fish, from Cave Run Lake in 1998.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muskie-state-record-11-08.jpg 
Views:	9176 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muskie-state-record-11-08-b.jpg 
Views:	4106 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	881  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New State Record Muskie Nov. 2008

WOW! Unreal fish, congrats on the catch and the record. Wonder what pound test line was used?

Post Thanks / Like

that really makes me think twice about swimming in cave run

Post Thanks / Like

what a fish ! congrats young lady i luv to see kids turned on to the outdoors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    WOW! Unreal fish, congrats on the catch and the record. Wonder what pound test line was used?
    Most of the guides over there use 80lb Cortland Braid with a 200lb Flourocarbon leader. That's what I use as well!!

Post Thanks / Like

Taking the term "state record" out of the equation, I wonder how many true Trophy sized Musky have been caught from Cave Run this year? Or Green River Lake too for that matter.

Post Thanks / Like

I know I had one at green river lake years ago but was fishing a bass tourney in November. It was huge and all I wanted was my bait back so I could keep fishing the tourney. I wish I would have taken some pics.